View post (Guitar for newbies?)

View thread

DeltaVictor
Full Access
DeltaVictor
Full Access
08/22/2022 12:08 am

dunno if it is the right way to do it but i read up on guitars for new players, went to guitar center on a few slow mornings when i had a few hours off. told the sales guys i wanted to try a few to see what felt best. they left me alone and on a third time, I picked out one of the $200 ones that was widely recommended by teacher blogs, and which has served me just fine for a year of practicing chords, scales, and GT's fundamentals courses plus blues 1. i later paid $50 for a set-up which fixed its intonation. I had only noticed after months of learning to play and starting to develop an ear that it was a little off

budget some cash for a practice amp, soft case, stand, amp cord, a pick variety pack etc. if you go electric

i'm no expert but in talking to a few people i think what matters most is the practice you put in, rather than the exact guitar(as long as it is fundamentally sound). i was too chicken to spend ~$700 on an intermediate guitar right away, which is a route some people go. I'll buy one later if I get to the point where my ear rebels at any baked in shortcomings of my starter