Guitar for newbies?

stevennelson
stevennelson
08/17/2022 4:11 pm

Hi guys!

As a newbie, I wonder where you purchase your guitars from? I’d like to come look and touch it. Maybe just go with the flow and let the guitar choose me, LOL. If you know a good store in Miami, please let me know.

Thank you for taking the time.

# 1
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
08/20/2022 2:08 pm

Hey Steve-

I've bought guitars from big stores, little shops, individuals and even one time from a guy just finishing his gig-right on the spot. I've yet to buy one online though.

Ok. My thoughts-

1. Little shops are great because of the relationship you can develop not just with the person selling but the shop itself. They can help match you up with what they have in stock, help ensure it's properly setup, and have a serious interest in what you plan to buy next. If they hook you here, you'll be back to buy your next guitar. Drawback? Limited stock may mean limited choices and price may be a bit higher.

2. Guitar Center and other big box. Usually a large selection and slightly lower prices. Customer service is hit and miss (I've had excellent and crappy) depending on the location. [br]Drawback? You're one of about a zillion people walking through their doors. Sales staff tends to turnover pretty often so it's tough to develop a relationship with someone interested in helping you grow. Sometimes the staff at these places are genuinely interested in helping and other times they take obvious pleasure in snubbing you or talking down to you. Really depends on the location.

3. Individuals? Most risky. Either you know the person or trust your "horse sense" with someone you've never met. Best way to find a treasure but no support.

Personally I'm a big fan of a small shop. If that's not an option, try talking to the staff at a big box and finding someone who'll talk a bit. If the big boxes give you the brush off, I'd look to a reputable online source.

Miami? I'll ask around.

RW

# 2
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
08/21/2022 12:25 am
Originally Posted by: Rumble Walrus

Hey Steve-

I've bought guitars from big stores, little shops, individuals and even one time from a guy just finishing his gig-right on the spot. I've yet to buy one online though.

For the better part of a year, I shopped around online for a Gibson CS 335. I lost a couple EBAY auctions because I didn't want to pay the price. Finally, I upped my limit and won a beauty. When I got in contact with the seller I was stunned to learn that he was a musician whose band I was familiar with and who lived about a half-hour away. We met at my bank's parking lot and he walked in and cashed my check when he handed me the gutiar.

Good luck, have fun.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 3
manXcat
manXcat
08/21/2022 1:57 am
Originally Posted by: john of MT..snip...Gibson CS 335....snip..

I had to look that up. I'm guessing a typo for ES-335? [br][br]Pic?[br][br]Enjoyable aquisition tales. Gotta' admire a discriminative shopper.

# 4
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
08/21/2022 4:21 am
Originally Posted by: manXcat
Originally Posted by: john of MT..snip...Gibson CS 335....snip..

I had to look that up. I'm guessing a typo for ES-335? [br][br]Pic?[br][br]Enjoyable aquisition tales. Gotta' admire a discriminative shopper.

Yes and no. Typo for CS 33[u]6[/u].

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 5
ellismusic1
ellismusic1
08/21/2022 2:43 pm
Originally Posted by: stevennelson

Hi guys!

As a newbie, I wonder where you purchase your guitars from? I’d like to come look and touch it. Maybe just go with the flow and let the guitar choose me, LOL. If you know a good store in Miami, please let me know.

Thank you for taking the time.

Don't waste your time talking to people you don't know.there are sellers capable of smelling a newbie 10 miles away.YouTube have hundreds of reviews from professional music stores whose reputation depends on knowledgeable sales staff. from popular makers like Fender,Ibanez, Gibson, Martin,and many more. In conclusion I end up purchasing the Fender Ultra in Texas Tea {New}.perfect set-up out the hard shell case. If you serious about your music. purchase a serious guitar.

# 6
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
08/21/2022 6:10 pm

I have an amended version of what ellismusic1 (of the VT music store?) said;

If you are [u]committed[/u] to guitar, identify the highest quality instruments you can afford...

...and allow yourself to spend another 10%.

-- Chet Atkins
# 7
DeltaVictor
Full Access
DeltaVictor
Full Access
08/22/2022 12:08 am

dunno if it is the right way to do it but i read up on guitars for new players, went to guitar center on a few slow mornings when i had a few hours off. told the sales guys i wanted to try a few to see what felt best. they left me alone and on a third time, I picked out one of the $200 ones that was widely recommended by teacher blogs, and which has served me just fine for a year of practicing chords, scales, and GT's fundamentals courses plus blues 1. i later paid $50 for a set-up which fixed its intonation. I had only noticed after months of learning to play and starting to develop an ear that it was a little off

budget some cash for a practice amp, soft case, stand, amp cord, a pick variety pack etc. if you go electric

i'm no expert but in talking to a few people i think what matters most is the practice you put in, rather than the exact guitar(as long as it is fundamentally sound). i was too chicken to spend ~$700 on an intermediate guitar right away, which is a route some people go. I'll buy one later if I get to the point where my ear rebels at any baked in shortcomings of my starter

# 8
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
08/22/2022 11:54 am

I would like to throw some pragmatism into the discussion. Most newbies will quit. The most important question right now is: will you practice regularly.

There isn't a Squire, or an Epiphone or low end Pacifica that won't help you anwer this question. And most likely, you will find the used market flooded with these guitars at a fraction of the original price.

Unless the guitar has a serious flaw, which is extremely rare, all of these makes will allow you to practice chords, scales and songs. And if you do find that you [u]will[/u] practice and can progress, it is much better to go looking for a better guitar at that point.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 9
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
08/22/2022 3:57 pm

Amen!

-- Chet Atkins
# 10
ellismusic1
ellismusic1
08/22/2022 7:13 pm
Originally Posted by: john of MT

I have an amended version of what ellismusic1 (of the VT music store?) said;

If you are [u]committed[/u] to guitar, identify the highest quality instruments you can afford...

...and allow yourself to spend another 10%.

Absolutely, quality over quantity.

# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.