To Mike Olekshy

Brian Roberts
Full Access
Brian Roberts
Full Access
04/22/2022 8:54 pm

Ref: Folsom Prison Blues - Boom Chic Rythym

Hi Mike, I am desparately trying to play the above piece. I have learnt the whole piece note for note but I cannot get any sound that is remotely like yours in the piece of music.

I have even reduced the bpm right down and looked closely at the string movement but cannot produce your boom chic sound!

I think that I need the technique that will allow me to play it and get the sound similar to yours.

Playing the notes as on the tab don't sound anything like what I am hearing from your guitar! Apart from the intro,outro and solo of course.

Mike can you help me?

Regards,

Brian Roberts

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/25/2022 2:04 pm

Hi Brian!

I recommend slowing it down (as you have already done to watch the fingerings and string movements) with the goal to play along with me at that slower tempo. Lots of repetition at slow tempos will burn the technique into your muscle memory, so that you can start speeding it up to tempo.

The key to the sound is the picking hand palm muting. Make sure you are dampening the strings (particularly on the D and G strings) adequately enough to get that snappy 'chick' sound. Again - practice slowly until you really get the hang of it, as the technique is pretty challenging at first. Remember that each of the higher notes requires a double "down up" pick to make it sound right - so it's actually more of a "chick chick" sound.

Hope this helps! Please check back in and let me know how it's going!

Mike

Originally Posted by: Brian Roberts

Ref: Folsom Prison Blues - Boom Chic Rythym

Hi Mike, I am desparately trying to play the above piece. I have learnt the whole piece note for note but I cannot get any sound that is remotely like yours in the piece of music.

I have even reduced the bpm right down and looked closely at the string movement but cannot produce your boom chic sound!

I think that I need the technique that will allow me to play it and get the sound similar to yours.

Playing the notes as on the tab don't sound anything like what I am hearing from your guitar! Apart from the intro,outro and solo of course.

Mike can you help me?

Regards,

Brian Roberts

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.