Call Me the Breeze

cvsidwell
Full Access
cvsidwell
Full Access
01/22/2022 1:18 pm

Really fun song to play! Thanks for the great tutorial. For me, just challenging enough to be a good learning experience and still be fun to play!

How about some Drive-By Truckers? They're certainly Skynyrd-adjacent.

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/22/2022 2:41 pm

Hey there - glad you dig the tutorial! I had a blast learning and teaching that one!

I would love to teach some Drive By Truckers, but there is an extensive approval process to get songs on the site. Check out the Song Request Forum and be sure to leave you request there:

https://guitartricks.typeform.com/to/rmHzhK?typeform-source=www.guitartricks.com

Mike

Originally Posted by: cvsidwell

Really fun song to play! Thanks for the great tutorial. For me, just challenging enough to be a good learning experience and still be fun to play!

How about some Drive-By Truckers? They're certainly Skynyrd-adjacent.

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
mrmarmal
Full Access
mrmarmal
Full Access
04/01/2022 7:12 pm

Aloha Mike, just found this lesson and am having fun digging in. Some of the solo riffs are going to take me awhile no doubt, but it's such a fun song to play. Both the Skynard album and JJ Cale albums were in our college dorm back in the day.

I really enjoy your teaching syle and I hope I can ask a few questions.

How did you learn this (or any) song? Is it all by ear? Watching videos?

Do you know which guitar player was playing the solo parts on the album? I can't Google the answer. I'm guessing Steve Gaines.

Finally, have you ever had a period of time where you just aren't interested in playing guitar? I've been playing mostly every day since I retired 12 years ago, and would occasionally not play for a few weeks for one reason or another. And then, when I resumed, it was fantastic because I just felt like I played better. But I went through a several month long phase recently where I just didn't care. I'm back again, and starting with two of your lessons, this one and "Can You See the Real Me".

At any rate, many thanks Mike, you rock!

# 3
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/02/2022 12:31 pm

Hello there - and thanks so much for the kind words!!

I learn songs by a variety of methods - existing tabs (double checking them against my ear to make sure they are accurate), live videos on Youtube (very useful to see what position a lick or riff might be in), but mostly by ear.

For example, this song has a few live versions on Youtube, so I was able to determine a few positions for the licks (the live version also confirmed that Allen Collins was on lead guitar). I also used the tab as a reference to confirm what I was hearing.

As far as learning solos - I will slow down the recording and learn each lick as accurately as possible. This was the method I used on Breeze, and then used the tab as a double check.

I will indeed take a break from guitar from time to time, and like you, when I get back to it, it's usually fresh and inspiring!

Thanks for the great questions, and keep rockin'!

Mike

Originally Posted by: mrmarmal

Aloha Mike, just found this lesson and am having fun digging in. Some of the solo riffs are going to take me awhile no doubt, but it's such a fun song to play. Both the Skynard album and JJ Cale albums were in our college dorm back in the day.

I really enjoy your teaching syle and I hope I can ask a few questions.

How did you learn this (or any) song? Is it all by ear? Watching videos?

Do you know which guitar player was playing the solo parts on the album? I can't Google the answer. I'm guessing Steve Gaines.

Finally, have you ever had a period of time where you just aren't interested in playing guitar? I've been playing mostly every day since I retired 12 years ago, and would occasionally not play for a few weeks for one reason or another. And then, when I resumed, it was fantastic because I just felt like I played better. But I went through a several month long phase recently where I just didn't care. I'm back again, and starting with two of your lessons, this one and "Can You See the Real Me".

At any rate, many thanks Mike, you rock!

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 4
mrmarmal
Full Access
mrmarmal
Full Access
04/02/2022 9:11 pm

Thank you for your answers Mike. I didn't think it through when I sent the question about the lead guitar - Steve Gaines did not even play on that album - ha!

One more question and I'll stop bugging - if I could arrange a live lesson with you, would it be possible during that time for you to hear something I've recorded to get your feed back? Musically and mix and master-wise questions, drawing on your producer background.

If so, could I send a wave file?

Again, many thanks Mike, Footy

# 5
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/04/2022 1:04 pm

Hi Footy! Yes of course I'd be happy to have a listen and give some feedback. When you book a live lesson, hit me up here on this forum and let me know the name you used to book the lesson, and I'll reach out to you over email so you can send the wav.

Mike

Originally Posted by: mrmarmal

One more question and I'll stop bugging - if I could arrange a live lesson with you, would it be possible during that time for you to hear something I've recorded to get your feed back? Musically and mix and master-wise questions, drawing on your producer background.

If so, could I send a wave file?

Again, many thanks Mike, Footy

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.