My Sacrifice - Tuning... And a question.

errazurizmax
Full Access
errazurizmax
Full Access
12/30/2021 1:19 am

Hi Mike,

First, thanks for all the lessons... It's incredible work!! And hope you had a nice Christmas holidays...

I'm starting with My Sacrifice and I have one guitar that I will leave tuned for this song for a while. You mentioned something about the string gauge to be used and I want to know if I have to change them before I start. Right now the guitar is set with Ernie Ball 9 to 42 Super Slinky strings.

Regarding the question... for a while I've been getting enthusiastic about getting a Les Paul. From your lessons I can see that you have a soft spot for them as well... Where I'm from there are not many dealers and the ones getting here are usually very over priced. I can get quite a good deal for a Les Paul Studio right now, and I'm wondering if you could give me some comments on that model. I read some review's but I'm a begginer on this and I would really appreciate your advise.

Many thanks in advance!!

Saludos,

Max.

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/30/2021 1:02 pm

Hello Max - thanks for the kind words!

Re: String gauge for My Sacrifice. 9-42 might feel a bit too slack for this tuning, so you could bump it up to 10-46 or even 11-52. The tricky part is the 2nd string (B string tuned up to D). If I were to keep a guitar tuned to this tuning, I would maybe swap out that string for the same gauge as the top string (10, 11, or even 12 to have it slightly different than the top string).

Re: Les Paul Studio - Those are great guitars and will give you the classic Les Paul sound and feel. The reason they are a bit more inexpensive than other Les Paul models is that they are more bare bones in the look - for example - there's no binding around the body and fretboard, so it has more of a stripped down look. But they play and sound like a true Les Paul, so I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up!

Hope this helps - let me know how it all goes!

Mike

Originally Posted by: errazurizmax

Hi Mike,

First, thanks for all the lessons... It's incredible work!! And hope you had a nice Christmas holidays...

I'm starting with My Sacrifice and I have one guitar that I will leave tuned for this song for a while. You mentioned something about the string gauge to be used and I want to know if I have to change them before I start. Right now the guitar is set with Ernie Ball 9 to 42 Super Slinky strings.

Regarding the question... for a while I've been getting enthusiastic about getting a Les Paul. From your lessons I can see that you have a soft spot for them as well... Where I'm from there are not many dealers and the ones getting here are usually very over priced. I can get quite a good deal for a Les Paul Studio right now, and I'm wondering if you could give me some comments on that model. I read some review's but I'm a begginer on this and I would really appreciate your advise.

Many thanks in advance!!

Saludos,

Max.

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
errazurizmax
Full Access
errazurizmax
Full Access
12/30/2021 10:37 pm

Thanks Mike!!

I will do so and change the string gauge...

As soon as I get my Les Paul I let you know how it works.

Saludos,

Max.

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.