View post (How Good Were you 6 Months Into Playing?)

View thread

TheDirt
TheDirt
01/31/2003 7:14 pm
I sucked at 6 months. I could play a couple songs... quite badly... And almost never the whole way through... After a lot of frustration I just gave up and set my guitar in the corner. The following couple months I just avoided all music (which at that point in my guitar playing history I renamed "stupid f**king s**t"). After a while, I once again resumed listening to music, but I now had an aversion from the music I was trying to learn when I played guitar, so I looked for something new. I hopped on the net and looked up "best guitarists" and found quite a few names. I went out and bought some cds based totally on my absolute faith in the infallibility of the internet and those who put stuff there (I was ignorant back then too). Some of the cds totally sucked, but I also managed to get the G3 cd with Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, and Eric Johnson. Listening to it forced me to go buy almost every cd made by these 3 guys and many more. I was resinspired to pick up the guitar, but I quit trying to learn songs: I began to work on technique, and I researched theory. Don't feel bad if you don't think you're good after playing "a WHOLE 6 months". Keep at it and you'll look back later and be like, "wow, I can barely even remember when I had been playing for ONLY 6 months"
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster