How Good Were you 6 Months Into Playing?

Cody_King
Cody_King
01/29/2003 5:48 am
Just wondering how I par up. I pratice quiet a bit. I started late so im hoping i can jump on board and get ahead.

How far were you at 6-7 Months into playing?
# 1
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
01/29/2003 9:48 am
i wasent far at all :) ! I knew bunches of chords, how to hammer on and pull of and was practicing to master barre chords. I could play songs like "used to love her" by gnr, "house of the rising sun", "night moves" by bob segar and "layla" by clapton.
WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 2
kingdavid
kingdavid
01/29/2003 11:07 am
I sucked.
How good you are depends on how much and how well you practice.
And the way you are,I think.By this I mean that some people would gain,all other factors(like diet and so on) held constant,say,10 kg of muscle if they work out an hour a day for three months.Others would probably take six months.I suppose this also holds for guitar.
# 3
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
01/29/2003 1:17 pm
I was progressing normaly ... I began with nylon string acoustic (spanish) ... In 6 months I could play "romanza" & other classical pieces , almost all Nirvana's , some GnR , some scorpions , a little Metallica & other similar artists ... lead parts (solos) before the 12th fret !
# 4
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
01/29/2003 1:41 pm
I could play mostly KISS songs back than. Incl. leads. I had this KISS tab book (Greatest KISS) and all I did was learning and playn´ songs from that book. Wasen´t intrested back than in any kind of music than KISS. I still like them but not as much as I used too. I remember my arguments with my friends about who´s the worlds greatest guitar player. For me it was always Ace Frehley.
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 5
Cody_King
Cody_King
01/29/2003 11:32 pm
Fun stuff, guess im doing ok then. I can do coords hammer ons hammer offs, pentonic scales and such. i can play most songs i try to learn. im working on memorizing the keys on earch string now.
# 6
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
01/30/2003 7:06 pm
I could play almost every guns n roses song after six months. Learnt sweet child o mine after about a month of playing, but people dont believe me!! Infact, i joined this forum when i got a guitr and i'm sure my first post was an arguement over playing!
# 7
Graz
Graz
01/30/2003 8:54 pm
I think I could play Crazy Train and a few other Ozzy riffs, all the AC/DC stuff but not much in the way of soloing and bending the notes was pretty chronic on the ears :)

Smoke on the water was the old favourite and I learned a few chords.

I think the way I knew I was progressing after six months was that I could pick up notes pretty quickly from records.

I'd hear something and be able to play it back roughly in minutes, that was a good skill to have.

As long as you practice and keep learning new things you'll improve, keep challenging your fingers.

I played as soon as I got home from school till late when I had just started. It takes time for your fingers to do what you want them to, keep pushing yourself though.
# 8
N4Player
N4Player
01/31/2003 12:50 am
6 months...I sucked also. First song I ever learned was Fastway - "Say What You Will" ....course that was 21 years ago...Then moved on to Judas Priest - power chord mania, some Iron Maiden, mixed in with Black Sabbath. Nothing too tough.
...another toy, to help destroy, the elder race of man
# 9
Auron
Auron
01/31/2003 7:38 am
Originally posted by Axl_Rose
I could play almost every guns n roses song after six months. Learnt sweet child o mine after about a month of playing, but people dont believe me!! Infact, i joined this forum when i got a guitr and i'm sure my first post was an arguement over playing!

including the solo Axl?
# 10
kingdavid
kingdavid
01/31/2003 8:16 am
Originally posted by PonyOne
...i still don't make any effort to play anyone else's stuff, if i hear something i like i look it up & learn it then apply it to my stuff...i just prefer to cut my own path...

I agree.
I like to think that music a language,just like the way we speak.And while learning other people's stuff is OK,it shouldn't be your focal point.
It's just like getting on some pulpit somewhere an going
"I have a dream..."
The best thing would be to listen to Martin Luther's speeches,and try and see what made them tick,and then see how you can use such or similar techniques in your own speeches.
# 11
Graz
Graz
01/31/2003 11:00 am
Yeah fair enough you need to cut your own path and stuff, but you also only get better by learning new things.

I didn't deliberately set out to play anyone elses stuff, I would hear something I like and then pick it up by ear.

The only way you can improve is to push yourself and learn new ideas and techniques. Where do you learn them from? I mostly picked them up by ear and then applied my own personality to them. After all your own personality should come out in your playing.

I wasn't interested in playing a song the whole way through at all, it would always be bits and peices from here and there, pick the things that I like and don't like.

I'd like to think thats how I developed my own style of play.

[Edited by Graz on 01-31-2003 at 05:02 AM]
# 12
kingdavid
kingdavid
01/31/2003 12:40 pm
Originally posted by Graz
...I didn't deliberately set out to play anyone elses stuff, I would hear something I like and then pick it up by ear...

Everyone,and I mean everyone starts off by playing other people's stuff.
# 13
Graz
Graz
01/31/2003 2:05 pm
Yep Fair enough, KD, I loved Randy Rhoads and it was that kind of stuff that made me want to play guitar.

Then Satch and Vinnie Moore caught my ears also.

What I am meaning is I would pick things that they had done and then play them my way. I think the only song I ever learned note for note was "Always with me, Always with you", to me that is one of the nicest guitar instumentals I have ever heard to this day. It's also not really that difficult to play.

Needless to say there was no way I would have been able to play that 6 months into playing ;)
# 14
TheDirt
TheDirt
01/31/2003 7:14 pm
I sucked at 6 months. I could play a couple songs... quite badly... And almost never the whole way through... After a lot of frustration I just gave up and set my guitar in the corner. The following couple months I just avoided all music (which at that point in my guitar playing history I renamed "stupid f**king s**t"). After a while, I once again resumed listening to music, but I now had an aversion from the music I was trying to learn when I played guitar, so I looked for something new. I hopped on the net and looked up "best guitarists" and found quite a few names. I went out and bought some cds based totally on my absolute faith in the infallibility of the internet and those who put stuff there (I was ignorant back then too). Some of the cds totally sucked, but I also managed to get the G3 cd with Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, and Eric Johnson. Listening to it forced me to go buy almost every cd made by these 3 guys and many more. I was resinspired to pick up the guitar, but I quit trying to learn songs: I began to work on technique, and I researched theory. Don't feel bad if you don't think you're good after playing "a WHOLE 6 months". Keep at it and you'll look back later and be like, "wow, I can barely even remember when I had been playing for ONLY 6 months"
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 15
TheDirt
TheDirt
01/31/2003 7:20 pm
Whenever you're thinking this: " *sigh* I don't think I'll ever get good at guitar."

Think this instead: "Hey, at least I'm a hell of a lot better than TheDirt was when he had been playing for 6 months!"

You should feel much better about yourself shortly...
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 16
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
01/31/2003 8:15 pm
including the solo Axl? [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, including the solo, although i couldnt do the "where do we go now?" bit with the harmonics and stuff.
# 17
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
01/31/2003 8:35 pm
Originally posted by Axl_Rose
including the solo Axl?

Yes, including the solo, although i couldnt do the "where do we go now?" bit with the harmonics and stuff. [/B][/QUOTE]

Do you mean you could play the whole song including solos in one month from your first time to play a guitar ???!! :confused:
# 18
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
01/31/2003 10:12 pm
Yeah man, I mean it´s not an easy solo. The run where wah comes in is pretty difficult and than the triplet thing just before the where do we go now break and the lick where Slash plays wierd 5-notes per beat lick just after the break.

Nowdays that solo is pretty easy for me but I don´t think I could play it after one month. I remember I had still problems with basic chords.
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 19
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/01/2003 5:29 am
After 6 months, I'd had my own guitar for about three weeks, and I was driving the rest of my family crazy while I played for five hours a day. I was in high school at the time, and I had a morning paper route, so I was basicaly getting by on about four hours of sleep a day. I don't remember what I was playing at the time, but if you check out the Top 10 charts circa 1968, you can see that I had a lot to try for!
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.