new string issues

tammielyn.ts
Full Access
tammielyn.ts
Full Access
11/12/2021 6:09 am

hey, so i just got my newish, 6 month old Taylor Academy 12 worked on, which is covered under 1 year warranty. adjustments, check, workup and new strings put on. i decided and perhaps regret putting on medium gauge. love the sound, am getting used to how much harder i have to press down, boy, callouses ever getting bigger fingers throbbing after 1 hour., anyhow, i noticed today when doing a slide on a riff i do, i can't slide well, makes no noise, barely, almost as if it's so tight it's just laying on the frets, so my beautiful two riffs i do which include slides in my songs, can't do them, sound like crap. suggestions, what to do, say to the store where i got it worked on...of course they will play and tell me it's fine, but it's clearly not.

# 1
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
11/12/2021 7:19 pm

If you could play those slides on your old strings..,sounds like you are dealing with the change to heavier gauge strings. Heavier strings take more stength to finger well and that will make it harder to play most licks and chords...and slides would fall into that catagory.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 2
manXcat
manXcat
11/12/2021 7:48 pm

What snojones said re increased string tension, but also, are you using this? It will definitely help in the transition fretting a heavier gauge and smooth noiseless slides on any gauge string.[br][br]Tone Finger-Ease spray is my preferred string lubricant, although I tend to use it only on the acoustics as it's both difficult to source and as a US import with limited distro, relatively expensive in Australia (X4 times the price it is in the US). [br][br]Alternatively you might like to try Dunlop 6582 UltraGlide 65 String Cleaner which is my alternative and default go to on the electrics here in the humid saline air of the sub-tropics. It's both a cleaner & lubricant. It's an excellent product too, but that said, of all I've tried over the past four years, Tone Finger-Ease is stands out as the best string [u]lubricant[/u].[br][br]Assuming you're not using one already, a string lube should definitely help. The rest is acclimatisation to that different heaver string gauge.

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.