Barre chords neck pain

gregmchir
gregmchir
04/06/2021 3:22 pm

Can practicing barre chords to much cause neck pain . I am past the point of cowboy chords but still not at intermediate . The songs I practice have barre chords like a rolling stone , Mr Jones etc

After a period of time I cant get all the notes to ring out so I apply a lot more pressure I have also done an exercise in which I use the first finger to barre apply a lot of pressure for 2 seconds and move all the way up the fretboard . After this I do barre chords until the 12th position I was playing at least 2-3 hours in 30 minute intervals

Could this cause neck pain (pain through the back of neck right through to forehead )

# 1
fernbrown19.88.89
fernbrown19.88.89
04/07/2021 12:40 pm
Originally Posted by: gregmchir

Can practicing barre chords to much cause neck pain . I am past the point of cowboy chords but still not at intermediate . The songs I practice have barre chords like a rolling stone , Mr Jones etc

After a period of time I cant get all the notes to ring out so I apply a lot more pressure I have also done an exercise in which I use the first finger to barre apply a lot of pressure for 2 seconds and move all the way up the fretboard . After this I do barre chords until the 12th position I was playing at least 2-3 hours in 30 minute intervals

Could this cause neck pain (pain through the back of neck right through to forehead )

You may be using much more tension and pressure than is necessary to fret the barre chord in the first place, and this may be what is causing the pain. You can train yourself not to squeeze your hand and fingers too hard.

# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.