Tuning manually

natashagranger
Full Access
natashagranger
Full Access
03/30/2021 5:42 pm

Hey, for tuning my guitar manually I follow the hold the 5fth fret down procedure e.g. holding down the low E at the 5th fret then comparing the sound with the open A. This procedure continues with the other strings. The string that is being pressed down is the reference point so for example if the open A sounds the same as the Low E when pressed down at the 5th fret then that means my A string is in tune. My question is, what is my reference point for the low E? If my low E is out of tune, how would I be able to know without checking my electronic tuner?[br][br]Thanks in advance! Hope that made sense.[br]Natasha :)

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/30/2021 6:55 pm
Originally Posted by: natashagranger

My question is, what is my reference point for the low E? If my low E is out of tune, how would I be able to know without checking my electronic tuner?

[p]Great question.

You either have to use an external reference (a tuner, or other instrument that you know is in tune) or you have to have perfect pitch or pitch recall.

It's possible to just tune the guitar to itself making sure all the strings are tuned relative to each other. But there is no guarantee that it is in absolute pitch without an external reference.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
03/30/2021 7:49 pm

Hey, for tuning my guitar manually I follow the hold the 5fth fret down procedure e.g. holding down the low E at the 5th fret then comparing the sound with the open A. This procedure continues with the other strings. The string that is being pressed down is the reference point so for example if the open A sounds the same as the Low E when pressed down at the 5th fret then that means my A string is in tune. My question is, what is my reference point for the low E? If my low E is out of tune, how would I be able to know without checking my electronic tuner?[br][br]Thanks in advance! Hope that made sense.[br]Natasha :)

You can also use the Guitar Tricks reference tuner to hear if you are in tune. Like Chris said, nothing wrong with the '5th Fret' method. It's always handy for a qucik tune up. If you can train your ear to hear the low E well enough to have it in memory, that's handy to be close enough for personal playing. I can get close though always seems to be a little sharp...just a little.

GT Tuner >>

# 3
davem_or
Full Access
davem_or
Full Access
03/31/2021 1:41 am

Do what I used to do in the old days, carry a tuning fork (A440) in your gig bag.

Simple. Unbreakable. No batteries needed.

# 4
bouncee
bouncee
03/31/2021 6:06 am

For practicing alone on your guitar the most important thing is that the strings are in pitch relative to each other. A forth apart. Even if they are not tuned in pitch in relation to anything it will good enough for you to practice. But it will also not train your ears.

Because as soon as you try to jam along to your favorite artists, streaming service or if you are one of those people, a CD og even LP you will notice something is wrong if the guitar is out of tune. The same if you play with other muscicians.

You need a reference tone, something that you can tune the other strings after. I would just use any mobile app, or get one of them headstock clip on tuners. As you already are familiar to manual tuning, just tune up one string using the clip on tuner, then do the rest by ear. That way you are also training your ear.

# 5
natashagranger
Full Access
natashagranger
Full Access
03/31/2021 11:56 am

Thank you very much everyone. Great help! I will use all these tips and hopefully over time I will know if the guitar is in tune (or close enough) by ear.

# 6
JeffS65
JeffS65
04/01/2021 5:14 pm

Thank you very much everyone. Great help! I will use all these tips and hopefully over time I will know if the guitar is in tune (or close enough) by ear.

And I forgot the best tip for ear recognition; sing the note when the guitar is in tune. Literally shen you're tuned up, strike the low E and then try to sing the same note while the guitar note rings out. You know (strike string) and sing: "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

It's a very small version of what singers ear training does.

# 7
natashagranger
Full Access
natashagranger
Full Access
04/07/2021 6:15 am
Originally Posted by: JeffS65

And I forgot the best tip for ear recognition; sing the note when the guitar is in tune. Literally shen you're tuned up, strike the low E and then try to sing the same note while the guitar note rings out. You know (strike string) and sing: "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

It's a very small version of what singers ear training does.

Thanks very much! I'll do that too.

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.