fingers hurt on power chords

Deb48
Full Access
Deb48
Full Access
03/21/2021 3:53 am

I'm kind of stuck on the lessons about the 6th and 5th string power chords. It hurts so much to play them that I can't do it for long enough to get good at it. Am I doing something wrong? Does anybody else feel like these chords are really painful on the fingertips?

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
03/21/2021 11:46 am

It sounds like you are applying too much pressure. There might be a couple of reasons for this. You might feel you need to apply lots of pressure to make a clean note - try backing off the pressure until your notes ring clear. You might have a guitar with action set too high or you might have heavier strings than you can deal with. I would try backing off the pressure 1st. If you are able to, a good setup and lighter strings are never a bad thing.

Good luck.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/21/2021 3:43 pm
Originally Posted by: Deb48

I'm kind of stuck on the lessons about the 6th and 5th string power chords. It hurts so much to play them that I can't do it for long enough to get good at it. Am I doing something wrong? Does anybody else feel like these chords are really painful on the fingertips?

William offered great advice about the correct amount of pressure. Beginner guitarists often use a lot of pressure because it's required to get started! But gradually you learn that you only need to apply a certain amount of pressure to get the notes to sound. Too much & it's only wasted effrot that slows you down & wears down your strength & endurance.

But your guitar could also be part of the problem. Guitars with wide necks, high action and or heavy strings focre a player to use more pressure than necessary if the guitar was et up properly.

I don't want to give you the idea that you need to get a new guitar! But it might help if you could compare your guitar to some other guitars; a friend's guitar, a local music store.

You could even take your guitar to a friend or music store & compare. What kind of guitar are you using? How high is the action? How heavy are the strings?

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
Deb48
Full Access
Deb48
Full Access
03/21/2021 9:56 pm

Thanks guys. I'm playing a Taylor Gs mini that's has been set up and I'm using light strings. The recommendation for this guitar is 13's and I'm using 11's. Don't know if this guitar would sound good with anything lighter? Maybe another Gs mini player could tell me. So that is all squared away. It's just something about the finger positioning for those power chords that's getting to me, I think. I'll try thinking proactively about decreasing pressure to see if I can retrain my fingers. By the way, it also happens on my electric guitar which has also been professionally set up. Maybe I just have to keep practicing till my fingers stretch that way? It's a weird position. I've noticed as time goes on my fingers can do things they couldn't do before.

# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/22/2021 3:48 pm

Sounds like your guitars are set up properly.

It's just something about the finger positioning for those power chords that's getting to me, I think.

[p]Sure, it could just be a matter of practicing. What about your thumb position? As you move your fingers more to the bass strings you should move your thumb down toward the opposite side of the neck to maintain opposable pressure. I demonstrate this here.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=12188

See if that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 5
donaldmont.go82
donaldmont.go82
03/24/2021 9:34 am

Keep your nails short so that the fingernails don't absorb the pressure and put strain on your fingers. Start short and play longer and longer as your calluses develop and you adjust your technique to minimize pain. Play for about 15 minutes at a time three times a day and go from there.

imessageapp

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.