Base/palm of my handing touching guitar neck

Erik Nettekoven
Erik Nettekoven
02/10/2021 1:50 pm

Hi,

Call me crazy or not, but I'm currently following two online guitar courses; The free ones at Justin Guitar (JG) and a paid one here on Guitar Tricks (GT). JG I practise for 30 minutes in the morning and GT 30 minutes in the evening. Although I'm open to your ideas on the way I'm approaching guitar practice as mentioned above, I am really looking for some advice on an issue I ran into with fretting the D chord, especially when changing back and forth between A and D.

The quick changing excersize on JG starts out pretty good imho, but along the way the base of my index finger starts to touch the guitar neck and I seem to, unknowingly, increase the pressure during the fast change exercise. Well, unknowingly... I don't really notice it during the practice but when I finish the excersize it becomes more evident.

How bad is it that this happens and how can i prevent it from happening?

I've included a link to a picture to give you an idea. It shows, my hand touching the guitar neck, my finger position/posture for the D chord (my fingers really want to point inwards, is this normal?) and which part of the top of my fingers press down on the guitar strings (marks in my finger tips). Any advice, tips, suggestions are very welcome.

D chord issue

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
02/10/2021 5:33 pm

Hey Erik! After referring to your picture, everything seems correct in what you are doing! Over time you will learn better and better technique. But you are on the right path!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
Susan_Montgomery
Full Access
Susan_Montgomery
Full Access
02/10/2021 6:44 pm

Hi Erik,

I always had issues with the D chord too. I'm familiar with the quick change exercises and I can understand the benefit of them but you might want to just try slowing it way down, making sure to get an accurate fingering and correct angle of your hand and wrist. And maybe just doing slow repetitions for awhile. I think it will just take more practice but it sounds like you're doing pretty good. You'll get it!!

“Often, what seems like an impossible climb is just a staircase without the steps drawn in.” Robert Brault, American Operatic Tenor

# 3
Erik Nettekoven
Erik Nettekoven
02/10/2021 6:51 pm

Thanks for the feedback! So touching/pressing the guitar neck isn't that big of an issue?

# 4
Susan_Montgomery
Full Access
Susan_Montgomery
Full Access
02/10/2021 7:12 pm

Personally, I don't think so. I know sometimes mine touches. But as long as you are getting a good tone on your D strings and it's comfortable and you can get to the other chords before and after ok, then I think it's ok. Others might chime in too and give you some more advice.

D was always such a problem for me because I kept landing on the wrong strings. But once I rewatched the vidoes for that chord I realized I was leading with the wrong finger. One slight adjustment and I've had it ever since (well, mostly!).

“Often, what seems like an impossible climb is just a staircase without the steps drawn in.” Robert Brault, American Operatic Tenor

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/11/2021 12:40 pm
Originally Posted by: Erik Nettekoven

. . . but along the way the base of my index finger starts to touch the guitar neck and I seem to, unknowingly, increase the pressure during the fast change exercise.

[p]Thanks for including a picture. It looks like your form is okay. It sounds like the only problem is that you are getting too tense as you work through the motions.

The answer here is to relax! :) Harder said than done, but possible to do! Take the time to put extra focus on remaining relaxed in your motions. You only need a certain amount of pressure & tension to fret notes. Work on using just that amount & no more. any more is just wasted efforts that hurts your hands & actually hinders your ability to get to the next chord on time.

The more you spend extra focus time on using just enough pressure, the more it gradually becomes second nature & you won't have to focus on it as much.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.