Should I start Over?

dbramsey
Full Access
dbramsey
Full Access
01/21/2021 4:07 pm

I started Fundamentals 1 A little while back, but had to stop because of an injury. I haven't been able to pratice for about 2 months but am ready to start again. I was up to Chapter 4( 5 Chord Power Pack). Should I go back and start at the beginning or should I just pick up where I left off? Any advice will be apreacited.

Thanks,

David

# 1
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
01/21/2021 4:52 pm

Let your body answer that question. If you can still muster the skills, move on. If not, go back. It really does come down to how much you absorbed before the injury. You should be able to judge that. I would offer one bit of advice...If the injury was a result of playing guitar, make sure you don't reinjure it by pushing too hard as you return to your instrument. Easy does it.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
01/21/2021 5:02 pm

Picking up from what sno said and adding; you can skip through stuff you have already commited to your head. Don't spend time going through learning the G chord if you already know it. However, if you're still physically getting used to the guitar and the injury you had affected your ability to play. certainly work through the more drill oriented lessons.

Don't get hung up on re-covering everything if you don't need to but hit up those things that may not be strongly built in to your playing yet (or might help rehab your playing).

# 3
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
01/21/2021 5:56 pm

And don't rush it. It's not a race, it's not a competition.

Bad habits and bad playing left uncorrected will impact throughout the learning process, getting more and more in the way of learning and accomplished playing. Take your time, practice and play well.

During your progress through the course(s) reserve some of your practice time for review and revisit of things you had/have trouble with.

Good luck, have fun.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.