Keeping track of songs I've learned

jhsidoc
jhsidoc
01/04/2021 12:28 am

Can someone suugest a good way to keep track of all the songs I've learned, both here and elsewhere, so I can easily reference them? Would be nice if there was an app or such so it's always with me on my phone/iPad. Also if you have a suggestion on how to store them in a way so I don't have to go back through all the lessons to refresh my memory and practice them again in the future?

Much appreciated, Jan

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
01/04/2021 12:43 am

Hi Jan,

Originally Posted by: jhsidoc

Can someone suugest a good way to keep track of all the songs I've learned

I use a simple spread sheet to keep a list of the songs I have learned to play. Personally I use Microsoft Excel, but Google also provides a spreadsheet at no cost. I am assuming that like Excel, Google allows hyperlinks, so in my case, if I want to jump to a song lesson or a jam track, I just click on the link.

On refreshing your memory, I am not a profressional. That means, what I learned 6 months ago may not be current (playable). But the good news is, if I know how to play something, it will come back to me fairly quickly.

Good luck

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
martin.bayly
Full Access
martin.bayly
Full Access
01/04/2021 12:56 am

I use Trello to keep track of things, songs, lessons etc I'm working on.[br]I have different lists for songs in my "repertoire", songs I'm just learning, songs I'd like to learn etc.

I also try to do something similar for lessons though don't use it as much as I don't tend to come back to individual lessons as often.[br][br]The nice thing about Trello cards, is that you can add notes, comments, links to the performance backing track lessons in GT, links to YouTube versions of the song to play along with etc, and then move cards between lists as a song goes from being in your "still learning" list to your "performance level repertoire" list.[br][br]I also move songs to the top of the list after I've played them, so I know which songs I've played/practiced recently and which songs I should show some love to.

# 3
manXcat
manXcat
01/04/2021 12:57 am
Originally Posted by: jhsidoc

Can someone suugest a good way to keep track of all the songs I've learned, both here and elsewhere, so I can easily reference them?

[p][br]Can't find something suitable here? Click "See more" on the right hand side of screen for more.

Then there's always the tried and true collated hardcopy Songbook. Print out songs as you learn them with personal notes and keep them in a sleeved folder or five. A popular common tool even for practising pro musicians sat on their music stand.

P.S. The latter is what I've been doing since I started.

# 4
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
01/04/2021 4:02 am

I organize all my music, including songs, as shortcuts on my desktop. I imagine something similar can be done on a smartphone (in my part of paradise I don't have cell access so I don't use a smartphone).

In the desktop's Songs folder individual songs are listed with a link to a saved document. That document contains song lyrics and chords, and links to those, lessons, and YouTube vids of the songs (or my own iTunes library).

I also maintain a notebook of printouts of that same document, i.e., the song sheets (chords and lyrics). At the bottom of the printed page are links to the source of the chords and lyrics, YouTube videos, and GT or other lessons.

I backup those files, both on the computer and on an external hard drive.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.