View post (Fretboard Memorizing?)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
01/03/2021 7:06 am
Originally Posted by: KelenpeJust few updates ,these last weeks I feel that I now see through the fretboard patterns. Thanks all for your support. I have practice the octave navigation methods and memorization is getting into place.

This.

By [u]repetition[/u] and importantly [u]association[/u] is the effective and meaningful way to develop [u]instinctive[/u] memory.

For guitar I use a combination of repetition playing and reciting the notes rote in their own kind of '12 times table' (12 naturals and accidentals) up and down the respective 6 strings from the nut to and beyond the 12th fret, and the same with the five Pentatonic minor and major scale shapes where association really kicks in associating every position of the respective root note and its octaves across and along the neck in the key in which I am playing.

All the best with your guitar goals for the forthcoming year Kelenpe.

P.S. Sighting your signature, Yamaha Pacifica 112V and APX600, nicely paired tools for the task. What I chose to start out with too. Electric first in late October the year I started, and acoustic two months later. They've each served me very well for the past three years and continue to serve without any limitation entering as a factor. Mine in traditional OVS and NT 'flavours'. As evident by my 'show and tell' links, I'm still as besotted with them as the day I bought them, and they both receive regular use during each week even with the option of alternatives available.