View post (Fretboard Memorizing?)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
01/01/2021 4:49 am
Originally Posted by: ddiddler

I use the fretboard game regularly and also noted the best times of 23 secs. That has to be very good use of the mouse or whatever. less than 1 sec to recognise the note and then recognise where the correct button is because the button position is totally random.

I now get them correct but my best time is only 1 min 15.

I think at 3 secs per change my songs may be quite jerky.

Manx and Christopher need to do a trail on the game to give us a ballpark time rather than the best of the best of the best.

Dave

Dave I just belatedly spotted this.

[br]I don't use the tool regularly as previously iterated. More on that in a moment.

After reading your post and Christopher's, I went to the tool and here's what I found.

[u]23s is a nonsense[/u]. False. Misleading. Why? Here's what I did to get 23s, and it took me three attempts to get there after working out my strategy.

I started the 'game' and positioned my mouse over B. Started the game and clicked on B repeatedly as soon as it refreshed even using interval anticipation to click instantly as fast as I could for 20 questions. No having to move the mouse, reflex as fast as I could without looking at the fretboard or having to process and respond to any presented information. Just clicked as fast as the game refresh would permit. Conclusion. 23s for genuinely interpreting the image and selecting 20 correct answers is a nonsense.

The only way I could see even close to 23s being attained by a human is this. The 'game' would have to have set number of 20 question and answer patterns which present in a set order rather than randomly generated and those patterns repeat in a cycle. If one played the 'game' long enough to observe this, then determined to learn the order in which each sequence occured, then chose just one to memorise and did so rote. Finally set the game up by rotating through the pattern sets until coming to the rote learnt sequence. GO! With that strategy perhaps close to 23 seconds might be attainable with repetitive practice at it.

But O.o?! Why? Utterly pointless and what a waste of time which could be better put to use using the trainer honestly for anyone genuinely wanting to learn the fretboard with it.

Now back to the GT Fretboard Trainer tool. Over the next month (January '21) I'll give it daily attention so as to thoroughly familiarise myself with using it, and then do half a dozen sequential self-tests and present the (honest) best and mean time result achieved. I seriously doubt I could get near Christopher's potential best time even taking into account it is a 'game' vs intuitively fingering the real fretboard in action. Visually interpret the presented info, process, response, a large part of which is total familarity and comfort with the tool. I reckon 3 seconds per answer for a time of circa 60s for 100% accuracy is honest. Whether getting down to around 2~2½ seconds per answer for 40+ sec is attainable for me we'll see.

Given the limitation imposed by the mechanics of the game, I'll be better placed to offer you my perspective on those scores in the 30+ second bracket when I finish the exercise above. For now, I think that with demonstrated reflex responses and mental agilty like that those high scorers should probably reconsider a career as a fast military jet pilot rather than guitarist. = P

IMV taking into account [u]the ergonomic mechancis of the 'game'[/u], a consistent 75s or 3.75s per answer for a correct 20 answers you're attaining now is a respectable result and solid progress for where you are given your elapsed time with guitar here. Well done!.

manXcat