View post (Fretboard Memorizing?)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/16/2020 4:12 pm
Originally Posted by: ddiddlerI use the fretboard game regularly and also noted the best times of 23 secs. That has to be very good use of the mouse or whatever.[/quote]

Yes, that's a good manipulation of the interface.

[quote=ddiddler]Manx and Christopher need to do a trail on the game to give us a ballpark time rather than the best of the best of the best.

I've never used it until now. I tried twice & both times were :58 seconds. A couple of thoughts:

1. I had to parse the image on screen which bares little resemblance to how my Strat looks in my hands when I am playing the guitar. But after a little while it was easy to see which note it is.

2. Most of my time was spent moving the mouse around looking for the right letter amongst the options below the fretboard graphic.

3. I was not in a hurry. I was simply looking at the fretboard to see the note. Then I would move the mouse to the right option below. Point being: correct slowly & methodically is always better than possibly incorrect as fast as possible.

4. A couple of times I couldn't find the answer because I was thinking of a flat note instead of a sharp! I never think of A#, I always think of that note as B-flat. I literally spent a few seconds thinking, "Is this broken or I am missing it?" :) I quickly learned it only uses sharps for accidentals.

I think this is a fine tool as far as it goes. But I think much more quickly with a guitar in my hands playing music.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory