View post (Posture vs pain.)

View thread

john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
11/20/2020 5:15 pm
Originally Posted by: flahr

I've always thought 'classical' guitar was different and I shouldn't play in a position like that if I am playing 'acoustic' guitar. However, the 'classical' position seems to be more comfortable to me!!

I play using a modified classical position. I went to that years ago when I found my Martin dreadnaught a little too large to hold the way virtually all sites/instructors teach. I found playing by cradling the guitar between spread knees with both feet flat on the floor not only was more comfortable but improved my reach, too.

I also discovered something else... the teaching of how a guitar should be held is important and the common way taught is appropriate and should be listened to. It also is a result of fashion, i.e., it's the way to hold a guitar these days... it wasn't always so.

Take a look at the old videos... check out the guitarists in the big bands of the 50's and earlier, take a look at the rockers of the 50's. Even into the 60's, Orbison, the Everly Brothers and the Beatles were playing with the guitar high and directly in front of their chest, standing or sitting. B.B.King, it seems, plays that way in every vid I've seen. Sometime in the mid- to late 60's it became the thing to do to do it differently. Or so it seems to me.

The very important point is neither position is wrong. More importantly, when either is adhered to as taught, both allow for proper posture, good reach, and comfort. But if your body is different, or your guitar is different one or the other position may be a big improvement for [u]you[/u].

[u]IMO[/u].

Good luck, have fun.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins