Issues with E flat major chord

eliasnhernandez1
Full Access
eliasnhernandez1
Full Access
10/27/2020 7:43 pm

Hi Mike,

I read enjoy your lessons and I'm learning a lot!

I'm practicing the song it must have been love, but that E is major chord in the 2nd interlude is really killing my progress!

Can you suggest any alternatives for it or how to play differently than how it's shown on the lesson?

Thanks in advance!

Elias

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/27/2020 8:24 pm

Hi Elias!

First off - try playing the chord that I show in the lesson using your middle, ring, and pinky to fret the 8th fret notes instead of the one finger (barre) approach. This is usually how beginners fret a B major chord in "open position". This might be easier for you.

Another way to play the Eb chord is to fret an open D chord, and simply move that shape (on the top 3 strings) up 1 fret. The trick will be to not strum the open D string with it, so focus your strum on the top 3 strings only.

Alternatively, you could simply forget about playing the root, and just fret the D, G, and B strings 8th fret with one finger to make an Eb triad, and play it that way.

Hope this helps --- let me know how it goes!

Mike

Originally Posted by: eliasnhernandez1

Hi Mike,

I read enjoy your lessons and I'm learning a lot!

I'm practicing the song it must have been love, but that E is major chord in the 2nd interlude is really killing my progress!

Can you suggest any alternatives for it or how to play differently than how it's shown on the lesson?

Thanks in advance!

Elias

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
eliasnhernandez1
Full Access
eliasnhernandez1
Full Access
10/27/2020 8:55 pm

Thanks so much for the quick response Mike! I'll try these approaches on my practice session tonight, and see how they workout for me.

I was doing well with this song until that monkey wrench was thrown in 😆

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.