learn one chord at a time?

bigdragon.ana
bigdragon.ana
10/20/2020 6:09 pm

Maybe a bit of a weird question. I'm following the fundamentals for 6 days now. But I tend to do a bit more then just follow the course. I see several different ways of thinking about muscle memory.

I tend to learn one chord for a period of time, a second one for a period of time and then try to make the switch between both.

Some people seem to be more inclined to learning more then one chord at a time and make it about the switching between the two chords, others say to start with one chord and learn it until you're competent enough. (So learning one chord, release the fret board and going back to the right finger position of the one chord until you can almost do it blindly)

What opinion do you guys/girls have about the way of progressing in muscle memory.

# 1
faith83
Full Access
faith83
Full Access
10/21/2020 6:45 pm

Since no one else has answered your question, I'll jump in and say yes. To all of your ideas. Whatever works for you, and I'm not sure anyone else can really tell you how to learn. That's an individual thing!

Play on.

"I got this guitar and I learned how to make it talk."

# 2
Susan_Montgomery
Full Access
Susan_Montgomery
Full Access
10/21/2020 9:49 pm

I am using a variety of ways to learn them.

First, I came up with my own mnemonic devices for the 12 most common major/minor chords that were on a chart I printed out. I came up with some idea, phrase, saying, picture, etc based on each chord shape. I wish I could tell you I memoized them right away but that just didn't happen. I did study them, yes...but I didn't really start remembering them until I put them into practice and started playing. So I still have a few I need to learn. But that has been the best way for me to learn the chords...is to just have a chart handy (I have mine taped up in practice area) and play, play, play. Do chord change drills and play songs with those chords. Lisa has some great lessons that involve chord change drills and 2 and 3 chord songs.

I have also been exploring the Song libray more and finding anything that interests me, especially if it has new-to-me chords. So now I'm learning some new ones I didn't even know existed and really challenging myself.

I agree with Faith, learning is so personal and individualized....you will find what works for you, just don't be afraid to find new ways of learning.

“Often, what seems like an impossible climb is just a staircase without the steps drawn in.” Robert Brault, American Operatic Tenor

# 3
bigdragon.ana
bigdragon.ana
10/22/2020 6:43 am

thank you for your information. I thought there would be some more answers but it seems that training is really personal and both ways are doable. I guess most of it comes from practice over time.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.