Songs with Barre chords

eliasnhernandez1
Full Access
eliasnhernandez1
Full Access
07/29/2020 2:56 pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks to your great videos on the simplified version of songs, I haven't given up yet since joining in April.

My progress with the open chords has been relatively steady, one of the songs you teach perfect by Ed Sheeran, only uses open chords and I can play it fully now, but the ones with Barre chords make me feel as if I'm going to be stuck on open chord songs forever 😬 I can't get through the hotel California version you have because of the Barre chords. I know you have alternatives to them for that song, but my question is if I'm practicing those Barre chords regularly but still not making progress, could this be an indicator that I'll just be stuck on open chord songs forever?

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/29/2020 7:35 pm

Hey there! Thanks for reaching out with your question.

Barre chords are really hard to master at first, and it takes lots and lots of practice to get them down. But all that hard work will be so worth it!! So I encourage you to hang in there and keep working on them!

Check out this video I did recently on this very topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlY3ngFeoPU

Work on practicing the barre chord shapes every day using the approach I talk about in the video, and I think you will start to see some progress.

[br]Please let me know how it goes!

Mike

Originally Posted by: eliasnhernandez1

Hi Mike,

Thanks to your great videos on the simplified version of songs, I haven't given up yet since joining in April.

My progress with the open chords has been relatively steady, one of the songs you teach perfect by Ed Sheeran, only uses open chords and I can play it fully now, but the ones with Barre chords make me feel as if I'm going to be stuck on open chord songs forever 😬 I can't get through the hotel California version you have because of the Barre chords. I know you have alternatives to them for that song, but my question is if I'm practicing those Barre chords regularly but still not making progress, could this be an indicator that I'll just be stuck on open chord songs forever?

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.