Is wireless the way to go?

Superfly
Superfly
12/17/2002 3:12 pm
I've had my fill of playing with patch chords and am seriously considering the wireless option. I play lead guitar and vocals in my band and need to be able to move around and back off the mic at times. I did a little bit of research on wireless systems and thought the Samson Airline product looked promising. Its not as "hi-tech" as some of the Shure systems but its relatively cheap, $300 US. I just worry about interference and signal integrity. If anyone else out there could advise me on the way to go your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
12/18/2002 4:28 am
I have an old Samson CT-3 that don't use much anymore because of the poor signal-to-noise ratio, and the slight delay that throws my timing off. Newer models from a lot of manufacturers perform much better in both categories.

As for interference, that shouldn't be much of a problem, if you're careful about selecting the channel you use. Obviously, if you set up on the same frequency as the local FM station, there's going to be trouble.

A good system uses two antennas on the receiver to enable a technology called 'diversity' reception. This is a technique that was developed for mobile receivers (like car radios) to reduce the multipath distortion that results from reflected signals arriving at the receiver out-of-phase with the direct signal. This particular feature does not prevent interference from other sources, but it does provide a cleaner sound.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
12/19/2002 11:20 pm
If your band is a arena band hell yeah but if you´re only at club level nevermind it. Wire will do the job.
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
12/20/2002 3:32 am
I disagree, Dejan. Cables tend to get stepped on - a lot. With a wireless setup, you can move around freely with out diverting your attention to gear that might get damaged under foot.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.