Different tubes??

Cavefish X
Cavefish X
12/11/2002 6:33 pm
I just bought a Hafler triple giant preamp(the Bogner model). It has 7 tubes in it and it came with all Fender 12ax7 tubes in it. On the 3rd chanel, the solo overdrive channel, it seems really buzzy. I'm wondering if I changed out all the tubes would the noise level reduce a little(switched to mesa or ruby or even GT.)? Fender tubes arent really designed for high gain are they?? So would switching give me a little more gain too?
What's the difference between a puppy and a singer-songwriter?
Eventually the puppy stops whining.

# 1
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
12/12/2002 7:43 am
a tube can be blown. Fuzzyness is a clear sign. Could of been damaged during shipping. My tube amp is nice and clear and before i got a bad one in which it buzzed very loud! Or i could be a poor pick up that u using thats not gounded to well. I suggest try changing tubes.
WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 2
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
12/12/2002 4:08 pm
Something you might want to do is swap the tubes around and see if your buzzing problem moves with a particular tube, Fender tubes are made for high gain just as much as any other brand name is, ( Fender or Mesa doesn't make their own tubes, they have them made to their specs and labeled with the company name) You'll see some tubes listed as high gain, but the 12ax7 design has a gain factor of 100, you have kind of hit on two factors that do make a difference, Noise, some brands make a high quality tube with very low noise specs, Tone, some tubes sound cleaner, some warmer, some fuzzy and dirty, it all comes down to personal taste and you might even want to use certain brands/models in diferrent channels to take advantage of that particular brand/models tone. I suggest you go to GT's website and do a little research, GT makes several different 12ax7's and they are widely available, I like GT and EH...........................
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
12/13/2002 5:15 am
High gain is not necessarily the best thing for your tone. Also, different versions of similar tubes sound different. Some players like the high gain and 'hard' distortion of the 7025, which is MIL-spec, 'robust' version of the 12AX7A. If you like a good 'bluesey' tone, you might prefer a slightly lower gain 12AU7, or even a 5751 tube. These tubes all plug right in. The beauty of experimenting with preamp tubes is that you don't have to worry about biasing, and as long as the pin connections are compatible, you can swap them around until you find a setup you like.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.