Pinch Harmonics

Twist of Fate
Twist of Fate
12/07/2002 3:08 am
Can someone explain this to me? I've read most of the stuff on here about them but I just can't really do it. I mean I can do it but it's not really loud, I even have my amp up to 10 on gain and the volume up to 5 or something. So can someone please help me?

Thanks
# 1
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
12/07/2002 4:50 pm
Where you pinch makes a difference, and you dont have to pinch to hard or totally reposition the pick to get them.
If you've already got them, just keep practising them. How long have you been trying to do them, cause usually when people start out they have troubles like yours. Just keep at em and you'll get them great.
And they also tend to come through nicer on a pedal than just on your amp set to distortion, like yours. If you can try out or buy a good distortion pedal, then I recommend you do so.
And God said, 'Let there be rock!'
-And it was good
# 2
Twist of Fate
Twist of Fate
12/08/2002 6:06 am
Thanks alot. So, what kind of pedal do you recomend? I used to have a black coffe death metal distortion but I didn't like it too much. I have gotten a little better, but when you do them how hard do you hit the string?
# 3
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
12/08/2002 2:22 pm
P.H.s are exactly the same theory as all other Harmonics,which is dividing the vibrating part of the string into equal vibrating parts, the only difference is the technique, so when you frett a note try counting 12 or 24 fretts above this note and do the pinch.

You can also count 5,7,4,9 or any other fretts you can do N.H. with, but since you're pinching them you'll sometimes have to count from the bridge, which will be very hard to count while playing. that's why you'll have to memorize those spots approximately taking the pickups position as your guide for instantly doing a P.H.

You should be able to do P.H. with any decent distortion pedal, but for sure a very high gain distortion like 'DOD DeathMetal' or 'BOSS MetalZone' will help.

Also make sure that you have a high output pickup to catch those harmonics clearly.

If you already tried this with high distortion and you didn't like the results, then it's the pickups or your technique.

Keep practicing.

# 4
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
12/08/2002 2:48 pm
Originally posted by Twist of Fate
Thanks alot. So, what kind of pedal do you recomend? I used to have a black coffe death metal distortion but I didn't like it too much. I have gotten a little better, but when you do them how hard do you hit the string?

I dont hit them that hard at all. I use the same amount of force as when I pick a regular note. I dont even reposition the pick, I just turn my hand inward a bit so the pick has more of a chance of catching the string. Thats how I do them. Totally repositioning your pick takes to much time, especially doing a solo or something.
And God said, 'Let there be rock!'
-And it was good
# 5
u10ajf
u10ajf
12/08/2002 4:07 pm
I wrote a massive post on harmonics. It's at
http://www.guitartricks.com/2000/trick.php?trick_id=5647

hope it's useful. One thing I didn't mention is this:

I used to have bad and good harmonic days. If you get pissed off with it you tend to make your contacts thicker and you mute the sound. Relax a bit. The easier you think it is the easier it becomes. Trust me!
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 6
Twist of Fate
Twist of Fate
12/11/2002 4:38 am
Originally posted by Twist of Fate
Thanks alot, I'll be sure to check this out. I've been practicing alot and I am getting better at them. :)
Things have never been so swell and I have never felt so well.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.