View post (Looking forward to Mike's on line lesson)

View thread

moosehockey18
moosehockey18
05/08/2020 6:28 pm
Originally Posted by: nicolasvelascog

Hello! I'm Nicolas and i'm going through my first lessons. I'm vey happy and excited with the classes, the instructor and the method, and I know that I have so much to learn yet.[br][br]The reason i'm posting this is because is so difficult for me to strum and change between chords when I use the pick and I don´t know why. Im I the only one?

Hello and welcome !

Being a fellow traveller on the guitar journey, I thought I`d give you a little help and encouragement as I`m just into this about 4 months myself. Just curious, do you feel the difficulty is with the fretting hand or the strumming one ? Does it make a difference if you strum without the pick ? Is it a timing issue with trying to coordinate each hand ?

What I did to help myself when faced with that obstacle was to break everything down to the most basic elements. First, I would strum while fretting just one chord. Then I would work up to 2 and just switch back and forth a bunch of times until I felt I had the coordination down. Then I would add a 3rd chord and so on.

Hopefully that helps.