Memorize the Fretboard

mmurray57
mmurray57
04/26/2020 2:34 am

I'm a total beginner and I'm looking for advise. I saw this book that claims you can memorize the fretboard in 24 hrs. It's called "Guitar Fretboard" by Guitar Head. Anybody hear of it? If so, is it worth a look?

# 1
DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
04/26/2020 3:17 am

Personal opinion only. I haven't looked at that particular book, but the internet is littered with gimmicky "easy way to learn the fretboard fast" ads. As a total beginner you don't need to learn much of the fretboard yet. If you learn the fretboard in 24 hours I think you will have forgotten it 48 hours later because you won't be using that information at this point. You will be starting out learning to put your first finger on the first fret of string 3, your second finger on second fret of string 5, and your ring finger on the second fret of string 4, and that's how you form E major. For melodies you will start the same way.

As you go along you should start to learn what the notes are on the fretboard but once you have learned the names of the strings and just the basic order of the 12 musical notes that are the foundation of western music you have enough knowledge to diagram the entire fretboard yourself.

As an early beginner, your time is probably better spent learning to form and play the chords instead of learning the names of the notes on the fretboard that make up the chords. As you progress through Guitar Fundamentals 1, Lisa will ease a little bit of music theory in along the way when it becomes useful for your level.

Now, having said that, if you want to learn the fretboard there is a fretboard trainer on Guitar Tricks. Go to the home page and click on Toolbox and you will see it there.

[br]All of that really is just my opinion and I don't mean to say a beginner shouldn't learn the fretboard, just that it is probably not very useful at first.[br][br]

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.

# 2
dlashme
Full Access
dlashme
Full Access
04/26/2020 3:36 am

I, too am a beginner and I bought that book. I found it useful, it actually teaches memory tricks to help remember the notes on the e and a strings and some patterns to find other notes. It was good for me when I got to GF 2 and Lisa started teaching those notes. I didn't memorize the whole fretboard as I needed more information - like what I'm getting from Lisa now. I'm glad I bought the book.

dlashme

# 3
mmurray57
mmurray57
04/26/2020 1:20 pm

I thank you both for your insights!

# 4
theMolster
theMolster
05/15/2020 11:29 am

I use this:

https://www.fachords.com/tools/fretboard-trainer/ (if you choose Easy mode you can select single strings to start with)

I have been using the tool for a few minutes a day (start of practice) for about a year which sounds like a long time but is nothing really in guitar learning terms I don't think and I can honestly say I know the notes very well (even if I'm still only very novice at playing!). When I pick up my guitar I always choose one note e.g. F# and make sure I can find it on every string. The two methods combined have been great.

I think it's the best fretboard trainer I found but I'm sure many will disagree with me!

Hope this helps,

theMolster

# 5
stanleymcdon46
stanleymcdon46
05/28/2020 7:56 am

As an early beginner, your time is probably better spent learning to form and play the chords instead of learning the names of the notes on the fretboard that make up the chords. As you progress through Guitar Fundamentals 1, Lisa will ease a little bit of music theory in along the way when it becomes useful for your level. DQ Fan Feedback

# 6
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
05/29/2020 8:06 pm

think we all think the same way agt the beginning and just want to learn.

That's a full answer of DavesGuitarJourney.

I have only been learning about a couple of weeks and once you know the steps you can build off each open note.

I drew the fret and was able to build it up in that way.

The note finder game in tools is good.

I can usually work them out but very very slowly.

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.