View post (Relative minor?!)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/28/2020 1:36 pm
Originally Posted by: ethanquarThere are just so many lessons here that it is quite overwhelming.[/quote]

Yes, there are! That's what the forum is for: to ask questions & help you find what you are looking for! :)[br][br]

Originally Posted by: ethanquarThe blues, rock, country and acoustic courses are formatted nicely, but upon completetion, I genuinely don't know where to go from there.[/quote][p]Does this mean you've completed all the courses & can play all the material in them?

If so, then you need to start working on learning songs. If not, then you need to pick a course & really work on it until you understand all the ideas & can play all the techniques.

Originally Posted by: ethanquarLike for example, if I'd like to learn more about improvisation, there are so many lessons on improvisation by so many teachers, and some of the lessons overlap with what I'd learned in Blues and Rock.

You've already worked through my improvisation collection?

https://www.guitartricks.com/collection/learning-to-improvise

And learning the solos in songs by your favorite artists is another great way to do this. In fact this is how many players learn improv: listen to & emulate artists they like & experiment with their own ideas based on that initial imitation.

Which artists do you like? How many of their songs or solos can you play?

[quote=ethanquar]Or maybe I'd want to learn another genre like metal or funk, but everything in those sections are pieced kind of randomly; I click on the metal category, and I don't know whether I should begin by studying a metal artist, learn a metal technique, learn a metal song, etc. Any advice for navigating through this hurricane of guitar knowledge?

Some genres are more represented on GT than others.

But let's back up a step here: exactly where are you in the process? What is your knowledge & skill level?

[quote=ethanquar]Maybe I could just ask for your advice on where to go when I would like to learn something.

Absolutely! We encourage all GT users to use the forum to ask for help.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory