Thumb pain - extension

iiiiiii-0
iiiiiii-0
04/18/2020 7:18 am

Hey. Anyone else have problems with an extended thumb? I'm trying to bend it but some things I play are really painful and high tension. For example in Lisas lesson regarding power chords and the song Can't Do Everything - my thumb is in a lot of pain. It's frustrating because I'm comfortable with the theory and playing - my thumb just has so much tension in it.

I'm double jointed and think this may have something to do with it..

Also I have a classical guitar Yamaha C70, so the frets are very spaced apart.

Thanks! :-)

# 1
manXcat
manXcat
04/18/2020 7:57 am

I have a modified C40//02, which is effectively identical to your C70. I don't think the problem you are experiencing has anything to do with characteristics of your guitar.

A Classical isn't optimal for the exercise, but I just tried it to satisfy curiosity and it's doable eliminating equipment as the cause. Don't apply too much thumb pressure. It's just not necessary with Yamaha or D'Addario normal tension nylon strings despite their height from the fretboard.

Other possibilities are either as you surmise, or the entire exercise including gradual development of flexibility and strength is new to you. When you refer to "really painful", are you experiencing moderate chronic discomfort or acute pain?

Give it a rest for a day or two if the former, and see if it goes away. Stop and seek professional medical advice for the cause if the latter.

# 2
iiiiiii-0
iiiiiii-0
04/19/2020 1:59 am
Originally Posted by: manXcat

I have a modified C40//02, which is effectively identical to your C70. I don't think the problem you are experiencing has anything to do with characteristics of your guitar.

A Classical isn't optimal for the exercise, but I just tried it to satisfy curiosity and it's doable eliminating equipment as the cause. Don't apply too much thumb pressure. It's just not necessary with Yamaha or D'Addario normal tension nylon strings despite their height from the fretboard.

Other possibilities are either as you surmise, or the entire exercise including gradual development of flexibility and strength is new to you. When you refer to "really painful", are you experiencing moderate chronic discomfort or acute pain?

Give it a rest for a day or two if the former, and see if it goes away. Stop and seek professional medical advice for the cause if the latter.

It's mainly if I do that particular excersise - and some other ones higher up the fretboard. Doing barcords and other things seem to be fine - I think power chords are the main culprit. Also I do spider excersises everyday so think my hand should be fairly flexible / strong due to this.

Everyday I warm up with Am (3 positions), Major scales and spider excersises - I've been doing this for a month everyday and not sure how else to strengthen and have more flexibility. I'm double jointed anyway - so I think strength might be the problem rather than flexibility.

Thanks for your answer :D

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.