Harley Bentons


William MG
Full Access
Joined: 03/08/19
Posts: 1,622
William MG
Full Access
Joined: 03/08/19
Posts: 1,622
04/12/2020 6:54 pm

That is a beauty.

Everything I have heard is very good.


This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 1
twowrunkles
Registered User
Joined: 03/21/20
Posts: 4
twowrunkles
Registered User
Joined: 03/21/20
Posts: 4
04/18/2020 10:33 pm

HI!

i have an sc 450 Plus HB vintage (179€ les paul style with coil splits) and the finish, quality and sound are amazing for the price. I can only compare to my squier jazzmaster and an rgx 421, but out of the box the HB is IMHO a better setup guitar. Only thing is that the action was maybe a little too lo for my liking so raised it just a tad.

Although the guitars are great out of the box i did change the nut on my SC450 but only because i am used to a slightly wider string spacing, which is a mod i often do to my guitars (and as an engineer i always have to mod the crap out of everything regardless). I do admit that i have never played a high end instrument, but I am so happy with that guitar that i am awaiting delivery of a te90qm! only downside is that i have to wait till wednsday!!!


# 2
mjgodin
Registered User
Joined: 11/23/19
Posts: 455
mjgodin
Registered User
Joined: 11/23/19
Posts: 455
04/19/2020 12:23 pm

Thanks, I may wait for this lockdown to end and stores to open up again so I can spend a day just trying a bunch out. Unfortunately in my area that still might be a while. Of course HB's aren't available in stores, but at least I can try a few squires to get a comparative feel about them. I just love the look of that model. It's really speaking to me.

Moe


# 3
Captain_Crunch
Registered User
Joined: 04/12/20
Posts: 30
Captain_Crunch
Registered User
Joined: 04/12/20
Posts: 30
04/30/2020 6:44 pm
Originally Posted by: mjgodin

Thanks, I may wait for this lockdown to end and stores to open up again so I can spend a day just trying a bunch out. Unfortunately in my area that still might be a while. Of course HB's aren't available in stores, but at least I can try a few squires to get a comparative feel about them. I just love the look of that model. It's really speaking to me.

Moe

I believe that, even if it is essentially a Thomann brand, you may find HB's in some shops, other than their music store. It depends on where you live. [br][br]That said, it is a good idea to try some similar guitars out, just to get the feel of the ergonomics. Just bear in mind that, even if the body shape will be the same, the neck profile may differ. And also other components, such as pickups.


# 4
mjgodin
Registered User
Joined: 11/23/19
Posts: 455
mjgodin
Registered User
Joined: 11/23/19
Posts: 455
05/08/2020 5:40 pm

After just reading the forum rules on this thread I realized it is for reviewing gear you already purchased and not to get feedback for something you haven't so I deleted the initial post. My apologies for any confusion. Moderators feel free to remove entire thread if you want.

Moe


# 5
rckgar
Full Access
Joined: 07/01/23
Posts: 3
rckgar
Full Access
Joined: 07/01/23
Posts: 3
07/18/2023 6:04 pm
#2 Originally Posted by: twowrunkles

HI!

i have an sc 450 Plus HB vintage (179€ les paul style with coil splits) and the finish, quality and sound are amazing for the price. I can only compare to my squier jazzmaster and an rgx 421, but out of the box the HB is IMHO a better setup guitar. Only thing is that the action was maybe a little too lo for my liking so raised it just a tad.

Although the guitars are great out of the box i did change the nut on my SC450 but only because i am used to a slightly wider string spacing, which is a mod i often do to my guitars (and as an engineer i always have to mod the crap out of everything regardless). I do admit that i have never played a high end instrument, but I am so happy with that guitar that i am awaiting delivery of a te90qm! only downside is that i have to wait till wednsday!!!

Twowrunkles, may I ask which specific nut you bought and where to get it?  I have a HB SC450 VB and I find that the pads on the underside of my fingers mute the strings below that finger.  More space between my strings would help a lot. 


thanks,


Rick


Remember Duane Allman

# 6
john of MT
Full Access
Joined: 10/08/09
Posts: 1,522
john of MT
Full Access
Joined: 10/08/09
Posts: 1,522
07/18/2023 7:10 pm
#6 Originally Posted by: rckgar

Twowrunkles, may I ask which specific nut you bought and where to get it?  I have a HB SC450 VB and I find that the pads on the underside of my fingers mute the strings below that finger.  More space between my strings would help a lot. 


thanks,


Rick

I think Twowrunkles is gone.  Their last post was three years ago.


"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 7
rckgar
Full Access
Joined: 07/01/23
Posts: 3
rckgar
Full Access
Joined: 07/01/23
Posts: 3
07/19/2023 7:28 pm

Yeah, I didn't see his post was so old.


edited

Remember Duane Allman

# 8
john of MT
Full Access
Joined: 10/08/09
Posts: 1,522
john of MT
Full Access
Joined: 10/08/09
Posts: 1,522
07/19/2023 7:43 pm
#8 Originally Posted by: rckgar

Yeah, I didn't see his post was so old.

Every once in a while, I do the same thing.


My bigger goof is sometimes blindly jumping in and answering a question posed to one of the instructors.   Ahhh... if I didn't embarrass myself, who'd do it for me?  😉


 


edited
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.