Rap Metal

OldSkoolPunk02
OldSkoolPunk02
10/26/2000 8:09 pm
Why does everybody say RATM were the first rap metal, rap rock band? Does anybody remember Suicidal Tendencies? They started in the 80's with rap metal. Also the lead guitarist Mike Clark, did the same stuff back then as the guy from RATM is doing now.. When I listen to ST it sounds just like RATM but with a differnt singer...

------------------
Is it just me or does life suck? Maybe I suck and it just life? We shall never know...
Up with dope! Down with hope!
A guitar is like a woman, touch her right, and she shall sing.
Is it just me or does life suck? Maybe I suck and it just life? We shall never know...
# 1
OldSkoolPunk02
OldSkoolPunk02
10/26/2000 8:12 pm
Also Ice-T had a Rap Metal group back in early 90's. They were the first Black metal band... They got alot of press with there song "Cop Killa"... So I must say RATM didn't start it...

------------------
# 2
BadHorsie
BadHorsie
10/26/2000 9:50 pm
It's just like how a lot of people will say that EVH started two handed tapping. Anyone who knows anything about the guitar knows that two handed tapping has been used before Eddie was even born. It's just that he's the one that made it so popular. Same thing for RATM. Everyone knows that they didn't start it, they just were the first to make it as big as it is. Ice-T's album got a lot of controversy but it still wasn't considered a good album by most people.

------------------
Ain't nothin' but a Gear thang, baby!
# 3
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
10/27/2000 2:35 am
Would the Beastie Boys be considered rap/metal?
"Take my hand boss"
# 4
Guitarsmurf2000
Guitarsmurf2000
10/27/2000 6:21 pm
Anyone here rememberAnthrax?I'm the man?They may have been the first to combine the two.

------------------
Life is a banquet so eat me.
Life is a banquet so eat me.
# 5
BadHorsie
BadHorsie
10/27/2000 7:31 pm
Bestie Boys were actually punk before they started to rap. As far as Anthrax goes I don't really know. Remember that around the same time Aerosmith worked w/ Run DMC on "Walk This Way". It's really hard to tell who did it first. Especially if you're talking about combining rock/rap in general. Because then you'd have to take in to consideration all the garage bands that could've done it and never made it big.

------------------
# 6
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
10/27/2000 10:35 pm
yeah, if you really think back they're were many. I think we would have to consider rhcp, when anthony first get up and would sing with the band in like guest appearances he'd just be up there rapping and
and whatnot and the peeps would love it. He still shows signs of his rapping in a halted type of rap kinda in songs like All around the world and Scar tissue, Give it away and more.
"Take my hand boss"
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.