Making time for practice!

munqy
munqy
11/23/2002 10:00 am
Haven't posted in ages but theres this one thing thats bugging me. See - i've read sum posts where ppl boast about practicing over 3 hrs a day (even more than 6 in some cases) but my question is where in ***'s name do u ppl get the time. I used to be damn good and i even gave lessosn to ppl but that was high school! I'm stressing over an EE major and all my friends are jamming daily - and they only have to worry bout makin' a Political science BA. With sports and term papers - and all those itsy bitsy duties of social lives - i can barely squeeze in 30 mins for practicing. I quit my band, and that new Les Pual i got is eating dust and is string-less.

N E WAYZ any college dude(ette)s balancing a major and mastering the geetar? (Cept for them music majorin' ppl)
real tyte bro \m/
# 1
Prod11
Prod11
11/23/2002 10:06 am
Easy just switch to a Business major. Its easy.
And whats this " social lives" c*rap just stop partying and clubbing and u'll free up hrs - specially the time u take sobering up.

On the bright side of things - thanx for the lessons and remeber PROD's golden rule - "A biz major commands a higher paying job than an EE major." Isn't that what its all about?

Keep up the shredding (after u're sober)
0_o
# 2
TheElectricSnep
TheElectricSnep
11/23/2002 1:21 pm
I know the feeling....I'm doing a foreign languages degree which is getting very time consuming...hence I havent been here in a week or so and haven't practiced as much as I would have liked....but I make time for the guitar every day, even if its just half an hour to keep those licks I worked so hard on in the fingers.

The hardest thing about uni is band practice....I now have the beginnings of a band but this week we just havent been able to practice coz we all do different majors nd have different timetables and assignments and there just hasn't been time. Heh, its early days let.

Munqy, turn off your computer, put some Ernie Balls on that LP and chill for a hour or two :cool:
'There's no such thing as bad weather, there's only the wrong clothes...'
# 3
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
11/23/2002 7:18 pm
Its all about planning.

YOu need a good plan for your daily life. for your life in general. most peeps do not have any plan - thatz whay the get nowhere. You need goals, you need time-limits and you need a plan how to acceive a certain goal within the limit.

Bruce Dickinson for example writes books, is a teacher (he teaches peeps to fly planes), he has Iron Maiden (that alone is a fulltime job) and he said that if he would plan his day a bit more effective he could sqeeze in another 3 hours a day!

So dont tell me you cannot practice at least 30 minutes a day. Everyone is doing so much nonsense every day that takes up far more than 30 minutes.

Look at me - i just sat here and spent about 30 minutes tuning on the computer, reading your post and answering it - i could aswell have taken my guitar and written a few riffs in that time... dammit *LOL*

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 4
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
11/24/2002 10:36 pm
the trick is scheduling. Im a kinisiology student and next year will be a md student. I have time to practice about 1 hr per day. The trick is to schedule everything. Stick to it and yul be fine. Take into account exams and papers of course. I use to schedule guitar inbetween studing cuz u need a break or else u dont absorb.

p.s. ill buy that les paul of ya maybe he can find a better home :)
WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 5
Prod11
Prod11
11/25/2002 7:55 am
Biz major, Biz major

What part of Biz major don't u get. The chicks are better!
AND what can you do with an EE major? Be a technician? Screw in light bulbs for a living?

0_o
# 6
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
11/25/2002 11:24 pm
Originally posted by Prod11
AND what can you do with an EE major?

Build stomp boxes, make a decent living, never pay for cable...
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 7
gernm18
gernm18
11/26/2002 5:30 am
well
i just feel it natural i mean i'm in my house and anytime i'm not doing anything i just pick up my guitar and play but i'm not 6 whole hours sitting and practicing everything i know,i really love to play but i feel it natural,not like other people who feel lazy to practice,i never feel lazy about practice i just play and keep playing and i try to learn something new every day even a single note of a solo that was missing,there aren't days that i dont play ,i play every single day of my life since i began with guitar, it shocked my life i guess if you find something that you really enjoy doing you just dont care about how many hours you play
German
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.