7 string help

Cavefish X
Cavefish X
11/19/2002 11:07 pm
I just got my first 7-string(a Carvin 747 made of walnut-its georgeous!), and I'm noticing that when I'm doing my shred thing on the first (high E) string I can hear the 7th (low B) string kinda vibrating on its own. Normally on a six string, my pick hand lightly palm mutes all the strings to keep this from happening, but the sheer width of the bridge makes this seemingly impossible to do on the 7 string without pulling my pick hand into some awkward position. Any suggestions to help eliminate this problem??
What's the difference between a puppy and a singer-songwriter?
Eventually the puppy stops whining.

# 1
trendkillah
trendkillah
11/20/2002 3:50 pm
This is what was hardest for me to adjust to on my 7-string. I have pretty big hands though, but I still had to put my right hand flatter on the strings near the bridge to get everything silent. Was a bit awkward at first, but you get used to it.

Advice? Hmmm, practise I guess. Just really pay attention to properly muting everything at all times. After a while you'll do it without thinking about it. The 'awkwardness' should go away after a while, change is always weird.

Oohh, btw, congratz on the new guitar, I'm actually thinking of picking up a DC727 myself. And I was wondering how the pickups are on it? I think their business would double if they let the customers choose their own pickups, damn them! ;)

# 2
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
11/20/2002 3:51 pm
Wow, Carvins making 7 strings, cool.
Sorry can't help with your problem, maybe you need to look at your technique. Is your arm laying on the guitar or hovering above? I think once you play it for awhile your technique will clean up, it takes a couple months of some serious praticing to get used to.
# 3
Cavefish X
Cavefish X
11/20/2002 9:26 pm
Thanks - I guess its just a matter of playing alot with the seven string...I can see it now - I get used to the seven string, then I have to post another question asking for advice on getting comfy with my 6 strings again....

Honestly, I dont like the stock bridge pickup too much, my main 6 string has a Dimarzio tone zone in it and anything less is an audible difference to me. They DO make a 7 string tone zone, which I will probably get in the future..I use the stock neck position humbucker in the 7 string for clean fat jazzy tones and I like it for that. The center single coil on the guitar I dont use since I have to lower it almost flush to the body so my pick doesnt hit it...I have to do this with all my guitars, so its not a Carvin design problem..If i was ordering one from scratch I woulda got a 727 (no center pickup), but I bought mine from the "in stock" guitars on their website.

What's the difference between a puppy and a singer-songwriter?
Eventually the puppy stops whining.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.