Slide, or Legato Slide?

adrian.collins
Full Access
adrian.collins
Full Access
01/05/2020 5:03 pm

Sorry for the really basic question, but when sliding from say fret 3 to fret 5 (or whatever, doesn't matter) I assume you normally pick both notes at 3 and 5? (as opposed to just picking 3, then sliding to 5 without striking it again)

Daft question I know, but I just want to be sure when following Tabs - many thanks - AC

Definition copied below??

Slide:

For a slide you start off plucking the first note and slide on the string up or down to the second.

Legato Slide:[br]The same as usual slide except the second note is not struck.

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/05/2020 5:32 pm
Originally Posted by: adrian.collins

Sorry for the really basic question, but when sliding from say fret 3 to fret 5 (or whatever, doesn't matter) I assume you normally pick both notes at 3 and 5? (as opposed to just picking 3, then sliding to 5 without striking it again)

[p]You can do either. It depends on the musical context: what is indicated in the notation, or what sound you want to achieve.

But in most situations when there is a legato marking, or a slide indicated, you do NOT pick the note again at the higher fret. Otherwise what is point of indicating legato? Legato indicates smoothly connecting the notes. Picking the higher note creates another articulation (pick strike) with the result of disconnecting the sound from the lower note.

What music are you working on?

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
adrian.collins
Full Access
adrian.collins
Full Access
01/05/2020 6:43 pm

Thanks Christopher, that's a very interesting, and detailed reply (not to mention quick!!)

I'm working on all sorts of music really, but most recently stuff like Sultans of Swing, but also Guns n Roses and Led Zeppelin, Johhny Cash etc

Cheers, AC

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/05/2020 7:10 pm

You're welcome!

Originally Posted by: adrian.collinsI'm working on all sorts of music really, but most recently stuff like Sultans of Swing, but also Guns n Roses and Led Zeppelin, Johhny Cash etc

Lots of variety there! Good for you.

Is there a specific musical example that prompted your original question?

I also forgot to post a link to this older tutorial I did on legato. Hope that helps!

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1540

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 4
adrian.collins
Full Access
adrian.collins
Full Access
01/05/2020 10:21 pm

Cheers Christopher,

Yes, it does no harm to have wide music tastes, there is so much good stuff to choose from 👍

I don't think there was a specific example which prompted my question, it was more that I noticed sometimes a particular part of a song sounded better with both notes picked, and some sounded better with just the 1st note picked, but the tab was marked in the same way. Guess as you said it can be open to interpretation sometimes, but this led to my question (which perhaps wasn't quite so basic as I thought)

Thank you for the link to your lessons and I will make sure I follow these with interest.

Many thanks indeed!

Regards AC

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/06/2020 1:14 pm
Originally Posted by: adrian.collins

Yes, it does no harm to have wide music tastes, there is so much good stuff to choose from 👍[/quote][p]Absolutely!

[quote=adrian.collins]Guess as you said it can be open to interpretation sometimes, but this led to my question (which perhaps wasn't quite so basic as I thought)

Indeed it can. Good observation. And it was a good question. :)[br][br]

Best of success with your guitar learning!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.