Constructing Solos?

Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
11/15/2002 2:01 am
How do i make a solo out of a scale? I just don't know I play a scale and still don't understand how to make the solo.
And I am just starting to learn scales, but none the less.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 1
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
11/15/2002 8:08 am
Well this is a deep subject, with many different approaches, so I'll attempt to give you some very general advice, constructing a solo is nothing more than making the guitar say what you want it to say, using what you know how to do, you don't have to learn everything there is to know before you at least start to do this, but the more you know, the more vocabulary you have to work with. Do you know the basic techniques like hammer on's, pull off's, bending, etc, those are just some of the tools you can use with a scale to make the guitar speak, now for a starting point, take a simple song that you know, play the chords, think about where you want the solo to start, now think about what you want to start with, keep it simple, a couple of notes, play the scale you want to use, decide what note or notes would sound good for this first statement you want to make with the guitar, it might help to think of the words to the song or the melody, and just try to say that with the guitar, when you figure out that first statement or sentence or word , then move on to what you want to say next. It might help if you listen to some of your favorite songs or players and take notice of how they start a solo, listen to what they do, try to figure out how they do it, and thats about it for a beginning, we all had to crawl before we could walk, just keep at it, learning to apply the things we learn is what keeps us all fascinated with the guitar..............

[Edited by pstring on 11-15-2002 at 02:10 AM]
# 2
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
11/19/2002 1:40 am
Thanks, your description looks good, and I will try to come up with something.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.