Beginner Path after Fundamentals for Funk and Soul

Purpleness
Purpleness
08/30/2019 3:32 pm

Hi Still doing fundamentals.

A big Prince fan if you hadn't guessed. I looked at most of the Prince songs are Funk and Soul and some Rock.

So the question is what path should I undertake when I finally complete Fundamentals 2?

I'm being disciplined but it's giving myself something to work towarsd and aspire to.

Thanks

P

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
08/30/2019 6:24 pm

Hi there,

If you're a fan of Prince, and that's the style you're learning towards, I think you'll probably get the most out of the Rock courses. But remember, you can always jump out and check out other courses if it doesn't work for you.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
08/31/2019 11:12 pm
Originally Posted by: Purpleness

Hi Still doing fundamentals.

A big Prince fan if you hadn't guessed. I looked at most of the Prince songs are Funk and Soul and some Rock.

So the question is what path should I undertake when I finally complete Fundamentals 2?

I'm being disciplined but it's giving myself something to work towarsd and aspire to.

Thanks

P

There's also the Funk and Soul style section: Here >> ..or the Funk and Soul song section: Here >>

The thing about Prince is that while his songs were very much in Funk/Soul, he was a very rounded musician that listened and learned from many, many genres. In my opinion, that was a substantial part of his genious. A good part of learning to play like an artist you like is to learn from what that artist liked, listened to and learned from. Eventually you'll learn that you will be influenced by those artist and your favorite (like Prince). Be sure you round yourself out this way.

Some years ago, there was a member on this board that only liked and learned Slash. Great guy and advanced pretty well as a player. I'd said to him more that a time or two that in to learned his favorite, learn the stuff Slash was influenced by. For some time, it was a 'deaf ears' conversation. Then one day, he came back having started to branch out and was even better for it.

Side note (and kinda bragging); I was from the Minneapolis-St. Paul area and saw the first date of the Purple Rain tour (which was on a Christmas Eve....and what an event). I was a rock and metal guy and that show is still, by far, the best concert I've ever been to. Funny, it was a last minute thing too. I didn't have tickets or anything but my dad had connections for everything and a friend called him the day of the concert and said 'Hey, I got 4 extra tickets for Prince, you got anyone that wants to go...' At first I was like 'Meh..It's not metal'....then I thought 'What the heck, why not' .........and the rest is history. Funny.....I don't know that if I hadn't have gone, what I would have missed but glad I did go....Wow. I was a convert that day.

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.