Combining GT with private Lessons

Matthew861
Matthew861
05/22/2019 9:36 am

Morning all

Just wondering if anyone is combining in person lessons with their guitar tricks journey and how that works for them?

There's a wonderful music school in my city so I'm thinking that it would be daft not to go for it.

I'd still class myself as very much a beginner - 5 weeks in and just about to progress onto full chords on the fundamentals 1 course.

Thanks

Matthew

# 1
tlp7
tlp7
05/26/2019 7:54 pm

I tried that with another online program and it didnt work for me. not enough time in the day to practice from 2 sources and give it your full attention. online is cheaper than in person but there are tradeoffs with both. good luck.

# 2
manXcat
manXcat
05/26/2019 11:37 pm
Originally Posted by: Matthew861

Just wondering if anyone is combining in person lessons with their guitar tricks journey and how that works for them?

[p]

If you're paying, can afford it and don't mind spending the money, try it. Nothing to lose except benefit from the experience,....one way or another. That way you'll know.

My take on it.

Thought about it initially when I first returned to guitar, but haven't actually optioned to take up one on one professional guitar lessons. Here's why. As with everything opinionative, the caveat YMMV.

Weighing up the cost vs benefit, it's an inefficient use of resources and IMV unnecessary today. Belongs to a former era, a time when it was the only way tuition could be delivered. Skip to my last paragraph for the 'speaking from experience' anecdote.

In my observation, guitar is one of those things in life where the majority of the learning process just comes down to pure slog and time hands on. [u]A solitary process[/u]. No tricks, no magic, it occurs through practising over and over, lots, and [u]importantly[/u], enjoying it. All of it. No one else can put in the work or be your proxy at practise other than you. More benefit in a structured theory class with a good teacher methinks, but that too can be done online these days.

Because of the restrictive rate of assimilation over time factor involved in the doing of learning guitar, there's plenty of time in between the actual hands on playing sessions to think about it, pre-lesson/session prep or post-consolidate, even to learn and assimilate the theory too at an easy self taught pace where the will to do so exists. All that's really needed to accelerate that process is guidance and structure, [u]just like the tuition here[/u].

Arguably useful early in the journey to hand hold for the personality who needs that kind of thing, correct mistakes and spot bad habits forming, but there's only so much one on one personalised tuition can accomplish in a single hour session when much of it and the learning to do part is necessarily a 'doing' activity, slowly, by the student. Then there's the travel time and expense of it too and from, an hour at least wasted. Being a self-starter, I'd benefit more from an hour on GT and an extra hours consolidatory practise than one on one face to face tuition [u]at this phase[/u] of my journey. Later, when I either hit a serious plateau or exhaust the material here, I think it could be worthwhile for pursuing advanced technique, finesse and style. Now, for me, no.

When I was a teenager ...a long, long, long time ago in what now seems like a galaxy now far, far, far away, I took one on one tuition on the Cornet (think baby Trumpet, smaller, sweeter) for a while. I was already an accomplished brass band side (snare) drummer, the lead side drum in both our school and competition concert bands, and military cadet bands at the time. In those days there was no online learning tuition, and even the VCR had yet to be invented. A time long before either. I found I benefited as much if not more during the one evening per week actual band practise session (about two hours long) with the band and conductor who was an accomplished musician himself and full time professional conductor in his day job with the Army military band, than the one on one relatively expensive regular scheduled tuition for the hour each week. There was nothing wrong with my tutor. It really comes down to this. How fast you learn is down to what you put into it. All the necessary tools to do so can be found online today. The rest is up to us.

# 3
Sixstringdoc
Sixstringdoc
05/27/2019 11:59 am
Originally Posted by: manXcat
Originally Posted by: Matthew861

[p]

If you're paying, can afford it and don't mind spending the money, try it. Nothing to lose except benefit from the experience,....one way or another. That way you'll know.

My take on it.

Thought about it initially when I first returned to guitar, but haven't actually optioned to take up one on one professional guitar lessons. Here's why. As with everything opinionative, the caveat YMMV.

Weighing up the cost vs benefit, it's an inefficient use of resources and IMV unnecessary today. Belongs to a former era, a time when it was the only way tuition could be delivered. Skip to my last paragraph for the 'speaking from experience' anecdote.

In my observation, guitar is one of those things in life where the majority of the learning process just comes down to pure slog and time hands on. [u]A solitary process[/u]. No tricks, no magic, it occurs through practising over and over, lots, and [u]importantly[/u], enjoying it. All of it. No one else can put in the work or be your proxy at practise other than you. More benefit in a structured theory class with a good teacher methinks, but that too can be done online these days.

Because of the restrictive rate of assimilation over time factor involved in the doing of learning guitar, there's plenty of time in between the actual hands on playing sessions to think about it, pre-lesson/session prep or post-consolidate, even to learn and assimilate the theory too at an easy self taught pace where the will to do so exists. All that's really needed to accelerate that process is guidance and structure, [u]just like the tuition here[/u].

Arguably useful early in the journey to hand hold for the personality who needs that kind of thing, correct mistakes and spot bad habits forming, but there's only so much one on one personalised tuition can accomplish in a single hour session when much of it and the learning to do part is necessarily a 'doing' activity, slowly, by the student. Then there's the travel time and expense of it too and from, an hour at least wasted. Being a self-starter, I'd benefit more from an hour on GT and an extra hours consolidatory practise than one on one face to face tuition [u]at this phase[/u] of my journey. Later, when I either hit a serious plateau or exhaust the material here, I think it could be worthwhile for pursuing advanced technique, finesse and style. Now, for me, no.

When I was a teenager ...a long, long, long time ago in what now seems like a galaxy now far, far, far away, I took one on one tuition on the Cornet (think baby Trumpet, smaller, sweeter) for a while. I was already an accomplished brass band side (snare) drummer, the lead side drum in both our school and competition concert bands, and military cadet bands at the time. In those days there was no online learning tuition, and even the VCR had yet to be invented. A time long before either. I found I benefited as much if not more during the one evening per week actual band practise session (about two hours long) with the band and conductor who was an accomplished musician himself and full time professional conductor in his day job with the Army military band, than the one on one relatively expensive regular scheduled tuition for the hour each week. There was nothing wrong with my tutor. It really comes down to this. How fast you learn is down to what you put into it. All the necessary tools to do so can be found online today. The rest is up to us.

Agree with this totally. In the beginning, online and slogging through is the best way...and it is going to take a lot of slogging. In person guitar lessons are a total waste of time and money if you are not yet up to the stage where you can cleanly finger and change chords in time. There is no magic there and someone in person is not going to make it any easier. You just have to do it, again and again, and again, and again......... I'm not saying at some point you won't reach a plateau, or need some motivation or direction and face to face would be a benefit. Give your self permission to take the time in the beginning. It's not easy and that is why most people quit.

Best of luck to you in your journey and remember to enjoy all the little victories along the way!

# 4
volodymyrfilonencko

volodymyrfilonencko

04/22/2020 9:44 am

I really miss private lessons right now.

# 5
W O L V E R I N E
Full Access
W O L V E R I N E
Full Access
04/25/2020 4:07 pm

While I certainly do not disagree with the opinions and salient points expressed herein, I will respectfully disagree and say that in-person, face-to-face lessons (Zoom, Skype, local shop, etc) are incredibly valuable and should not be so easily dismissed. [br][br]

Learning guitar in solitude is unidirectional -- you are the sole judge, unlikely to scrutinize ineffective technique, and unaware if you've properly nailed it before moving on. Trying to do so with an untrained ear does not provide the necessary feedback required, or assurances that you've gleaned all essential elements of a skill.

Speaking from experience as a self-taught student, it is far too easy to develop poor habits much harder to unlearn, than to learn properly from the onset. How many of us have learned countless song fragments, and incorporated them into our practice routines, only to later realize with a better developed ear that you have played it wrong for years, emphasizing the wrong notes, or not properly phrasing? I am guilty of all of the above. [br][br]

Instead I argue for a bi-directional approach, with an objective instructor as the judge, and dare I posit,.. a "requirement" (commensurate with your goals on the instrument of course) I personally regret not having a trained instructor to guide me through the formative years. [br][br]

Yes, certain elements are less subjective and open to interpretation. Things like learning the fretboard, chords (open, barre, major, minor, 7th), scales, modes, music theory and other conceptual aspects must be understood, before being applied, but,..

Playing guitar is incredibly nuanced, it's not like carpentry, riding a bike, or another skill where a finite handful of sub skills are required for mastery -- it seemingly requires a million little things that culminate to form a players style. Subtle variations in vibrato, for example, whether vertical or horizontal, soft or aggressive, immediate or delayed, etc, are seldom realized by a student judging his own progress. [br][br]

I'm incredibly grateful to have benefited tremendously, in my humble opinion, from live group lessons here on GT, with the same instructors who teach us via video. I learned more proper technique from Dave Celentano in one year than the previous ten struggling and slogging on my own.

in fact, just last night Mike Olekshy hosted a free live lesson and astutely commented on progress plateaus that all players achieve. it's not a steady climb linearly up the mountain. It's a cycle of continual gradual progress, followed by recognition of hurdles and problem areas that must be overcome before ascending to the next plateau, rinse and repeat.

I Honor thy Sherpa, but put my trust and confidence in those already at the summit to guide me on my personal journey. Your mileage may vary.

# 6
matonanjin2
matonanjin2
04/25/2020 5:17 pm
Originally Posted by: W O L V E R I N E

While I certainly do not disagree with the opinions and salient points expressed herein, I will respectfully disagree and say that in-person, face-to-face lessons (Zoom, Skype, local shop, etc) are incredibly valuable and should not be so easily dismissed. [br][br]

I just can not agree with Wolverine more. I suspect most people take online lessons for one (or more) reasons. This is certainly speculation on my part and I have no data to support it, but I feel fairly confident in my guessing:

1) Financial restraints

2) Time restraints, or

3) There is no in person instructor available in the area the student lives.

In person lessons are expensive. They are far more expensive than online ones. And with busy family/career schedules it can possibly be a lot easier to log on after the kids are asleep at a time that would not be available at a local guitar store. And, of course, there are parts of the world where there just is no teacher available.

I started my learning journey with a DVD course long before I knew Guitar Tricks existed. It was pure dumb luck that it turned out to be a great learning experience. The author of the course lives in Nashville. He announced on his student forum that he was going to be lecturing at a college in the Chicago area for a week. For any Chicago residents he would be scheduling face to face lessons during his off time during that week. I'm not in the Chicago area but it's only an hour flight. Try one or a few. If it's not for you then, at worst, you've wasted a few bucks and a few hours.

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45

# 7
W O L V E R I N E
Full Access
W O L V E R I N E
Full Access
04/26/2020 5:26 am
Originally Posted by: matonanjin2
Originally Posted by: W O L V E R I N E

I just can not agree with Wolverine more. I suspect most people take online lessons for one (or more) reasons. This is certainly speculation on my part and I have no data to support it, but I feel fairly confident in my guessing:

1) Financial restraints

2) Time restraints, or

3) There is no in person instructor available in the area the student lives

And what I discovered are exactly the "develop(ed) poor habits much harder to unlearn," Wolverine described. I was holding the pick incorrectly and my fretting hand (thumb) was not correct. Would I of corrected these eventually? Who knows?

But these problems by the nature of the "bidirectional" lessons were discovered early in my learning.

I feel somewhat strongly that private lessons are the ideal but just not available to us all for various reasons. If they are available then, yeah, you would be daft not to go for it. Try one or a few. If it's not for you then, at worst, you've wasted a few bucks and a few hours.

[br][br]

Thank you for the kind compliments @matonanjin2. I'm thrilled to hear of your flight to Chicago to book a couple lessons. That's hard core dedication, I'm happy to hear your outcome matched or exceeded your expected result.

[br]As a result you were able to proactively get out in front of the problem and quickly correct common basics easily missed thus preventing digging an insurmountable ditch that is likely a cause of frustration leading newer players to abandon this beloved instrument.

You've 💯% justified the points that not just you and I have experienced firsthand, but likely many others sharing our same journey that might benefit from a slight nudge. [br][br]

Rock on brother 🤟🏻😎🤘🏻🎸

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.