View post (How much music theory do I need?)

View thread

jwegier
jwegier
04/18/2019 6:44 am

Hello,

my goal in learning to play the acoustic guitar is to be able to enjoy to play songs that I love (mostly Pop, Blues, Rock, some Country music) I am interested in fingerstyle, strumming and be able to perform some basic improvisations. I play for myself and family and friends, I want to be able to listen to a song and play it on my guitar. I do not intend to be a professional musician or play on stage or make a career of playing the guitar ( I have my own successful non-musical professional career)

[br]My guitar knowledge is at the level of Guitar Tricks Guitar Fundamentals level 2

I can read tablature and understand the strumming notations on it. I enjoy learning and practicing and I practice daily between one and two hours (sometimes even three hours)

Music theory may be a very interesting topic and a certainly a must for the professional musician and I may decide someday to go deeper into music theory not because I really "need" it for my personal goal but out of curiosity. What I would like to know, is how much music theory (or which parts of it) do I need if my goal is as I described at the beginning of my post?

I want to spend my time learning and practicing material that I need for my goals and not to waste it on may be very interesting and important material but not directly relevant for my present goals.

Can you direct me to the relevant topics or course for my goals?[br]Thank you very much