How much music theory do I need?

jwegier
jwegier
04/18/2019 6:44 am

Hello,

my goal in learning to play the acoustic guitar is to be able to enjoy to play songs that I love (mostly Pop, Blues, Rock, some Country music) I am interested in fingerstyle, strumming and be able to perform some basic improvisations. I play for myself and family and friends, I want to be able to listen to a song and play it on my guitar. I do not intend to be a professional musician or play on stage or make a career of playing the guitar ( I have my own successful non-musical professional career)

[br]My guitar knowledge is at the level of Guitar Tricks Guitar Fundamentals level 2

I can read tablature and understand the strumming notations on it. I enjoy learning and practicing and I practice daily between one and two hours (sometimes even three hours)

Music theory may be a very interesting topic and a certainly a must for the professional musician and I may decide someday to go deeper into music theory not because I really "need" it for my personal goal but out of curiosity. What I would like to know, is how much music theory (or which parts of it) do I need if my goal is as I described at the beginning of my post?

I want to spend my time learning and practicing material that I need for my goals and not to waste it on may be very interesting and important material but not directly relevant for my present goals.

Can you direct me to the relevant topics or course for my goals?[br]Thank you very much

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/19/2019 2:54 pm
Originally Posted by: jwegier

my goal in learning to play the acoustic guitar is to be able to enjoy to play songs that I love (mostly Pop, Blues, Rock, some Country music) I am interested in fingerstyle, strumming and be able to perform some basic improvisations. I play for myself and family and friends, I want to be able to listen to a song and play it on my guitar.[/quote]

The best thing for you to do is to build your repertoire of songs. The more songs you know the more you will have first hand knowledge of what makes a song tick. What chords, melodies, finger picking & sturmming patterns work for what situation.

Originally Posted by: jwegier[br]My guitar knowledge is at the level of Guitar Tricks Guitar Fundamentals level 2

[/quote]

Good deal! What about your skill level?

[quote=jwegier]

Music theory may be a very interesting topic and a certainly a must for the professional musician and I may decide someday to go deeper into music theory not because I really "need" it for my personal goal but out of curiosity. What I would like to know, is how much music theory (or which parts of it) do I need if my goal is as I described at the beginning of my post?

[p]This is a great observation & question.

The general answer is that your theory knowledge needs to at least match or stay close to your playing ability. So for example, when you learn a new song that has chords you are unfamiliar with, or a progression that you like the sound of but don't understand why it makes that sound, or a rhythm that you can't count, you make the time to learn the theory (or the ideas, the concepts) behind that specific musical situation.

Theory that you can't use is useless & time wasting. But playing skills (chord shapes, rhythms, etc.) that you don't understand can be frustrating, limiting & might hold back your musical growth.

Make sure your theory knowledge stays on par with your playing skills (your ability to play the guitar).

[quote=jwegier]

I want to spend my time learning and practicing material that I need for my goals and not to waste it on may be very interesting and important material but not directly relevant for my present goals.

Can you direct me to the relevant topics or course for my goals?[br]Thank you very much

I encourage you to pick a style course & work through it (blues, country, rock). The great thing about the courses is that you will get the theory you need, when you need it, along with the physical playing skills that are taught. The theory is incorporated into the practice in the courses!

You might also enjoy these tutorials on chord progressions & ear training. They will help you understand the nuts & bolts of how melodies & chord progressions work, which are the engine of songs.

Major Scale Harmony[br]https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=2387

Minor Scale Harmony[br]https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=2393

Ear Training For Intervals[br]https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=2401

Ear Training For Chords[br]https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=2414

Hope that helps! Please ask more if neccesary & best of success with it!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
jwegier
jwegier
04/19/2019 8:08 pm

Christopher,

thank you very much for your useful answer and for the links

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/20/2019 3:34 pm
Originally Posted by: jwegier

thank you very much for your useful answer and for the links

You're welcome!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 4
Sixstringdoc
Sixstringdoc
05/29/2019 4:54 pm

Chris that was a great answer to the question and very helpful. I'm sure there area many of us who are in the exact same position as the OP. I also love the comment regarding knowledge vs skill level. It's so true and insightful. I'm in the middle of spending 2 entire weeks of Linda McCormicks Easy Blues fingersyle lessons. I'm finally getting it, but the fingerpicking made me realize how weak my B7 chord was and changes in time fingerpicking are a whole other ballgame vs strumming. All good though. Truly engraining it is the ley and part of the process.

Thanks for all you do.

Tom

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/30/2019 11:55 am
Originally Posted by: Sixstringdoc

Chris that was a great answer to the question and very helpful.

[p]You're welcome! Glad you found it helpful.

Best of success with that B7 chord!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.