The Old Folks' Beginners Thread

Schmidtrock
Schmidtrock
10/02/2019 10:37 pm

Hey all, 54 here and I've lost count how many times I've 'started over'. I like to say I've been learning guitar for 40 some years. One day I'll surely be able to play. Really though, this year has been great and I've managed to knuckle down and practice disciplined. I've bounced around over the years to different tutelage but always seem to come back to the awesome Guitar Tricks.

Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today ~James Dean
# 1
sgautier8th
Full Access
sgautier8th
Full Access
10/19/2019 11:27 pm
Originally Posted by: jantecki19

72 here, and never picked up an instrument until a month or so ago when, for some reason, I decided to get a guitar. Smart? Probably not. Admit to getting frustrated with my old, fat, short fingers hitting every string on the thing, but hope to get better some day. Wish me luck.

Janetquick - Good LUCK !! I picked it up at 51 (this past February 2019) and I love it.

IN Fact, I JUST discovered the JAM STATION on GuitarTricks - tons of great backing tracks. It is awesome, you can practice scales or lead licks or practice playing along with the rhythm guitar (I guess?). Anyway, intended to spend about 20 mins. practicing today and I have been JAMMING with Jam Station for the past 4 hours. My fingers and arms are going to fall off, my back is sore, but I really don't want to stop. This must be what "crack" is like.

# 2
robert_turner_2004
robert_turner_2004
10/23/2019 11:39 pm

Hi guys

just turned 64 on Sunday and treated myself to Guitar Tricks. I tried to learn in the past but suffered from poor tutor choice. Both guys were heavily into bands (and weed) and were more interested in showing off their latest mastery of a Steve Vai solo. It really was the wrong environment to learn in. It goes to show that the best and flashiest guitarists don't always make good teachers.

so here I am, retired, with lots of time to invest in learning guitar properly. It's good to see an Old Folks Beginners thread here. It gives me hope!

Along the way I managed to acquire some nice guitars and amps despite not playing so I'm spoiled for choice for something to pick up and get going with. [br][br]

So far so good. I'm enjoying it and that's what it's all about. Nice to join the club!

# 3
alheisley
alheisley
10/29/2019 6:21 am

Looks like I'm one of the older guys here - 70. I had never had a guitar in my hands until 1 month ago. I haven't gotten very far but the interest is there. Simply put, I haven't been practicing much and it shows.

Reading this thread has been just what I needed. I'm encouraged and reminded that practice is key. I have to remember that it's a matter of time until my fingers start finding their way by themselves and that excuses don't help.

I'll be returning here whenever I feel the need to reboot.

# 4
Schmidtrock
Schmidtrock
11/04/2019 5:12 pm
Originally Posted by: alheisley

Looks like I'm one of the older guys here - 70. I had never had a guitar in my hands until 1 month ago. I haven't gotten very far but the interest is there. Simply put, I haven't been practicing much and it shows.

Reading this thread has been just what I needed. I'm encouraged and reminded that practice is key. I have to remember that it's a matter of time until my fingers start finding their way by themselves and that excuses don't help.

I'll be returning here whenever I feel the need to reboot.

I'm rootin' for you sir! I've been at this for over forty years and just this very time around that I am sticking to it and the progress is gaining speed! Stick to it, you can do it! Brain plasticity has been proven scientifically. If you perservere at something long enough the brain adapts to it's new learning state. Cheers!

Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today ~James Dean
# 5
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
11/05/2019 11:31 am
Originally Posted by: alheisley

.. excuses don't help

I had to chuckle at this. No they don't! Plain old fashion work is what it's about.

I started in January at 55. Practice everyday. I'm not very good but I'm better than I was in January! Good luck Al.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 6
flyingfish3
flyingfish3
11/06/2019 3:13 pm

hello !

Im diving back in to guitar lessons through GT after a 20 year break. Both my daughters are off to college and I can finally find some me time to practice and play. I'm 56 and stored my guitar and gear two decades. I had the steel strings replaced and the instrument cleaned up.

I love the on line option far better then meeting weekly with an instuctor so you can learn at your own pace and odd hours. The loop option is great when you are learning a new song and just want to hammer it down. I'm back to the basic course but its sparking my memory and I'm excited to wake up and jump back on to my acoustic six string.

I read an article that suggests chewing gum while learning a new skill helps keep you calm and sparks your brain to process and remember. Try it and I hope the lessons stick!

flying fish

# 7
orangelover
orangelover
11/08/2019 9:58 pm

I'm a 67 yo female, and first found this site 6 years ago. Wasn't ready to knuckle down and do what it takes to progress then, although I did learn some chords and the Em pentatonic so I noodled mostly for the last 6 years and thoroughly enjoyed it. Playing by myself, keeping time didn't matter to me. BIG Mistake. I'm starting at the beginning and it's taking awhile but I am here for the fun of learning and playing. I also notice that my cognitive function is improving as a result of studying music, so there's that. Patience and compassion for ourselves as adult learners is key.

# 8
sgautier8th
Full Access
sgautier8th
Full Access
11/13/2019 5:45 am

Cool to see people still joining in and keeping this going!

After 9 mos. of playing, I played my first "gig", albeit in my house with 20 friends on a Friday evening. Me and two other guys play acoustic and sing together (we did 6 songs - 1 was really good, a few were good, one was mediocre and we butchered Brown Eyed Girl, which kills me because that was the easiest song we play!) Creedence, Neil Young, Van Morrison.

I played Wagon Wheel by myself and Mama Tried.

Most fun was trying out my chops on lead Blues with the Backing Tracks on Jam Station. I'm up through Chapter 2 in the Blues 2 course and just playing licks in rhythm all over the fretboard can keep people entertained for a good 30 minutes or more. I expected all the congrats, but you never know if they are sincere, but lots of people asked us to play more, so I'm gonna' take that as we did alright!

Anywho - stick with it everyone - practice works !!

# 9
monstarider
monstarider
11/17/2019 11:29 pm

Hi All

I am nearly 62 and thought learning to play an electric guitar would be a good way to make the cold months a bit more fun. I'm about two weeks in and starting to think I may have bit off a little more than I can chew, but plodding along none the less. My challenge (ok, ONE of my many challenges!) is left hand position with my stumpy, fat fingers so I am looking for some guidence on finger position exercises I can do perhaps while driving, or at work and so on to help speed up the "break-in" process. All suggestions welcome! Thanks!

# 10
sgautier8th
Full Access
sgautier8th
Full Access
12/09/2019 9:59 pm

Monstarider - I'm shocked that nobody jumped in to offer some thoughts and advice; usually get a lot of responses here. I don't know anything in particular for big finger issues, but just picking a good beginner song, or playing a 12-bar blues or pentatonic scales would seem to me to be good practice and work out the fingers to get you comfortable!

# 11
Joe105
Joe105
12/10/2019 10:01 am

I am 75 now. I started with Guitar Tricks in Feb,2017.

I got through Fundementals 1 and half way through 2. I was then unable to continue due to personal issues.

Those issues have now been resolved. I purchased a used Gibson Les Paul Studio in very good condition and a Bugera Vintage V22 Infinium amp. This is a valve amp.

Last month I started up my subscriptions to Guitar Tricks once again. I quickly ran through Fundementals to refresh myself and, with the aid of the great Lisa finished Fundementals 2.

I have now moved on to the Blues Style Level 1 with Anders Mouridsen. I like him a lot and I think he is a great teacher.

I love the blues and to be able to play it will be soooo good.

I'm about half way through Chapter One now. Progress is slow but steady and I'm quite happy.

The guitar nut needs replacing on my Les Paul. I've ordered a Graphtech Tusk XL and will be installing it myself and carry out a new set up. I already have a fair bit of experience with this that I have aquired over the years. The secret is to go very slow, especially when doing the nut. So it will make a nice diversion and give me a little break from practicing which I tend to overdo if I don't watch myself ;)

I'm hoping The Great Spirit will give me enough time to gain some proficiency in playing, however, it is as it is and I shall enjoy the time i have got and be happy and content.

Kind regards to you all,

Joe

# 12
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
12/10/2019 2:28 pm

All the best to you Joe, I hope for all of us we get many more years of learning and playing.

# 13
tomfeller
tomfeller
12/14/2019 7:42 pm

60 here but act a lot younger ..... Never played any musical instrument ..... to top it off I play left hand. Finger tips are numb after a few hours of practice. Glad to see people around my age starting out.

# 14
Joe105
Joe105
12/15/2019 9:26 am
Originally Posted by: tomfeller

60 here but act a lot younger ..... Never played any musical instrument ..... to top it off I play left hand. Finger tips are numb after a few hours of practice. Glad to see people around my age starting out.

When you stick with it, it does get easier. Practice little and often and things get better. Don't try to rush things. It will all work out. I look forward to hearing from you in the future

The guitar is such a versatile instrument and, at the beginning it takes you on a wonderful journey of discovery

I wish you lots of fun and enjoyment and great success.

Kind regards

Joe

# 15
brownalvin2
brownalvin2
12/15/2019 11:32 am

Hello All

I signed on with GT just a few days ago and have been going through the beginner lessons. I'm having the same issue as most of my age group (or anyone). My left hand that I fret with is having a hard time getting used to proper finger position. My thumb wants to move toward the head stock instead of staying opposable behind the second fret and I keep pulling it back to the second fret to adjust. Also for the simple C chord I find my index finger causes buzz on the high E string when pressing the B string in the first fret or is close enough to the G string where I can feel it vibrating. So basically I'm having a "dial it in" issue. I have 3 guitars (all electric) and don't want to add another one until I can be proficient with the ones I have. I guess my short term goal is to stay on the begginer lessons until my "dial it in" issue is resolved. Does this make sense, or does anyone have a better idea? Thx.

# 16
Joe105
Joe105
12/15/2019 12:22 pm
Originally Posted by: brownalvin2

Hello All

I signed on with GT just a few days ago and have been going through the beginner lessons. I'm having the same issue as most of my age group (or anyone). My left hand that I fret with is having a hard time getting used to proper finger position. My thumb wants to move toward the head stock instead of staying opposable behind the second fret and I keep pulling it back to the second fret to adjust. Also for the simple C chord I find my index finger causes buzz on the high E string when pressing the B string in the first fret or is close enough to the G string where I can feel it vibrating. So basically I'm having a "dial it in" issue. I have 3 guitars (all electric) and don't want to add another one until I can be proficient with the ones I have. I guess my short term goal is to stay on the begginer lessons until my "dial it in" issue is resolved. Does this make sense, or does anyone have a better idea? Thx.

Hi,

What you are experiencing is very common when starting out to play guitar. It all takes time until your muscles get used to forming finger positions that you have not used before. Gradually your muscles will gain strength and remember the new finger positions used to form chords.

I would suggest that you make sure you use the finger tips and not the pads to press the strings. Curl your fingers enough to achieve this, like holding a tennis ball.

Make sure your finger nails are cut very short and try to use just enough pressure to make the strings sound out. A common mistake is using too much pressure.

Now play a chord of your choice. Play the chord and hold your fingers down for some seconds making sure every string is sounding. Lift your fingers off the strings ever so slightly then press down again on the strings without changing your finger position. Continue doing this as many times as feels comfortable. 10, 15, 20 times. Whatever you can manage..

This exercise will train your muscle memory quite quickly.

Do this with other chords of your choice.

The exercise will gradually strengthen your muscles and retain the memory of where they should go.

Don't over do it. If it becomes painfull take a break.

It is very easy to become frustrated at the beginning. But you have to learn to walk before you can run. If you can walk properly it is easier to start running. ;).

All this preparation will pay off in the end believe me and make things easier in the long run.

I hope this has been of some help to you.

So take your time. Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day but became a beautifull city.

Have fun and enjoy this adventure.

Kind regards

Joe

# 17
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
12/15/2019 1:29 pm

Hi Alvin

I just finished morning practice and read you post. This may help...

Alvin

# 18
brownalvin2
brownalvin2
12/15/2019 9:07 pm

To Bill and Joe

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond and provide feedback. It does help to know that one is not alone. I will take time to try the suggested techniques.

Regards.

# 19
Joe105
Joe105
12/16/2019 12:08 am
Originally Posted by: brownalvin2

To Bill and Joe

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond and provide feedback. It does help to know that one is not alone. I will take time to try the suggested techniques.

Regards.

You are most welcome. Oh and you are never alone with the good people on Guitar Tricks always around :) . You have joined a big friendly family.

Till later,

Joe

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.