The Old Folks' Beginners Thread

john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
10/07/2020 6:45 pm
Originally Posted by: robroske

Hi 58 from mass. Have fiddled with guitars for years never tried to learn to play. Have been working on beginner corse four 3 or 4 weeks. I've been doing ok but the bits and pieces of songs , one string one fret , is no fun. I've continued with the corse but have also copied tab of a song I like and have been practicing that. Will this just slow the whole process down? Should I just stick to the lesson plan? Thanks

Stick with the lesson plan, it's a well developed and thought out program. [u]AND[/u] noodle anything extra you want. It's not either/or... just add more time to your practice and plunk away. But most assuredly, the lesson plan should take priority.

Good luck, have fun.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 1
Canister
Canister
10/26/2020 7:00 pm

You young "whippersnapers" I'm 83. I plan to hang in there. I'm a 20 year vet and have been put away wet as we used to say. You can too.

# 2
Pasvorto
Full Access
Pasvorto
Full Access
11/11/2020 7:14 pm

I may be the 'old man' here. I am 70 and have been playing for a few months. Just about to finish the 2nd set beginner lessons. I'm fairly comfortable with my 'cowboy' chords. I have found that using my phone and video recording myself has helped a lot. It has shown me just how bad my singing is! ;-) Once recorded, I upload the videos to YouTube (private, of course). Then, I can watch them at any time from anywhere and critique myself. I am far enough in the course now to know how barre chords are formed and I am kind of excited to be able to work on them. Practice does not make perfect, it makes permanent. So I have to be careful to take my time and do it right and don't program my hands and brain to do it wrong.

# 3
Millsp
Millsp
11/17/2020 9:05 pm

Hi, I have just been reading through some of the problems faced by us oldies. Well I am 79 in 2 weeks, I first picked up a Fender in about 2009, and as you can see I first joined GT in 2011. Its a long road and you older guys shouldnt rush things, play slow, practice for short periods, have a Tea ( Im English and live in UK ) then start again.

If your fingers dont work, they will its exercise they need. I am 5 Feet tall and have a childs hands but last year I gave myself 12 months to learn bar chords, now my practice song is Hotel California and Im considering looking into the solo parts.

Dont let anything beat you but do slow down you have years left and I started as an exercise to help with pain in my hands. Have Fun

# 4
guitar1916
guitar1916
11/24/2020 11:49 am

Is it possible for someone in their 40s to become an intermediate to above player?

I realise that people can learn to play the guitar at any age, but I'm wondering as a 48-year-old person, who has been playing for around two years, whether the mountain to being more than passable is too steep to climb in your 40s.

I have improved over the past two years, but it's dispiriting to think that I might never be able to play a more complex song to a good standard.

# 5
MikeAxon
MikeAxon
12/10/2020 7:23 pm

just seen this quote on a poster, as a seventy year old beginner guitarist I found it very inspiring.

[br]You Don't Stop Playing Guitar When You Get Old.

You Get Old When You Stop Playing Guitar.

# 6
JOMJ
JOMJ
12/15/2020 2:08 pm

I think I might be the youngest here. Almost turning 40. Perhaps I should never stop playing so I can advice younger people when I am 60/70 that they should just start learning.

Man, I guess I am still very young BUT still feel like I "lost" 20 years where I could have started in my teenage years.

Now I just just want to be able to play at home, in the garden and perhapssss if I get any good, jamming a bit with some other folks.

"You find a lot of people these days who cannot stand to be alone. You could lock me up in solitary for weeks on end, and I'd keep myself amused."

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.