View post (Pickups - how much difference do they make)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
03/04/2019 1:25 am

Now I'm fairly new at this too, but over the past fifteen months I've managed to acquire quite a bit of kit and 7 electrics of different configs and styles and 3 all now e-acoustic configured guitars.

Short answer is IMO&E so far is no.

Although they can inarguably influence tone remarkably, especially amp simulators IME, no amp or guitar tone, volume, EQ, or preset controls alone are a total substitute for individual pickup variations, or config variations like string gauges, materials including coatings or player attack all alter tone. Those tools can go part of the way, but pickup capability is important IMV.

i.e. There is absolutely no comparison between the Manson spec wound lipstick neck and alnico bridge in my Cort Classic TC and the cheapy ferrites in my Squier Tele. After I replaced those with an lipstick and alnico Korean made Wilkinson WVTN&B set, which sounded different again and much better to my ear than the OEM ceramics, but again there is no comparison really. They sound different, appealing to the point I can enthusiastically endorse and recommend them, but distinctively different to the Manson specs in my Cort which AFAIC are "da bomb".

For me it's difficult to evaluate pickup output or pot resistance from vids, and any chance of doing so for my ear requires viewing multiples if available. I usually rely upon manufacturer spec for those which will IME generally be an accurate datum to gauge comparitively from an reputable manufacturer. But there are so many variables in any You Tube vid presentation including the amp being used, how recorded, the play demo e.g. the 'look at my ego' star super shredder vs someone truly aware of how to present a purposeful demo.

Tone is altogether a can of worms and so subjective. Then there's simply brand blindness to always remain aware of, often fed by defensive end user ownership pride, a folly in most of us at some time whether past or present.