Notes or Tablature?

Rookie Rob
Rookie Rob
03/02/2019 11:03 pm

As a noob, should I concentrate on using notes or tabs??? The site jumps into tabs but not much on notes. I thought reading music was the root of music and then tabs? Can anyone help me on this delima?

Thank you,

Sore fingers!

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/03/2019 3:28 pm
Originally Posted by: Rookie RobAs a noob, should I concentrate on using notes or tabs??? The site jumps into tabs but not much on notes. I thought reading music was the root of music and then tabs? Can anyone help me on this delima?

Great question!

When you first start learning you've got more than enough to do just trying to gain the physical skills required to play. So, after you've gained the basic skills required to play some music, then it's time to apply the conceptual side of leaning (theory of chords, scales, reading).

In general, our courses are designed to give you the right balance & amount of theory (conceptual) versus practice (technique), at the right time & in the right order.

Tab gives you just the right amount of info to get started. But since reading music notation is absolutely an invaluable part of learning guitar (or any musical instrument), it is eventually covered in depth & detail in Chapter 7 of GF2.

https://www.guitartricks.com/course.php?input=fundamentals2

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.