Pace to Learn / Practice

brother_hesekiel
brother_hesekiel
01/30/2019 3:04 am

I'm 61 years old and determined to learn playing the guitar. I bought a Taylor A12e as they come highly recommended as a great beginner's choice, and started about 2 weeks ago. I practice about 4 days a week for about an hour each, meaning I've practiced now for 8 to 10 hours total.[br][br]Right now I'm at Guitar Fundamentals 1, where we add the 6th string. I wonder about the proper pace. To the point, in the previous lesson where we play "Five Miles Out," I was able to do a pretty good job at 75% of the correct speed. Should I now stick with this lesson until I can master it without flaw at 100%, or is it . . . umm . . . okay to move on to the next one, assuming that the next practive in some way will also help me with the previous lessons? I want to do it right, but I also do not want to spend a year getting through the fundamentals.[br][br]Any advice?

# 1
stevechristian1
stevechristian1
01/30/2019 1:16 pm

I’m about a month in now and the approach I’ve taken is as follows:

30-45 minutes a day 5 days a week.

- Spider Leg Exercise to warm up

- Practice the latest chords I’ve learned to get them in my fingers

- Run through the previous few lessons I’ve been working on to reach a point of mastery.

- Always have a “new” stretch lesson I’m working on that is pushing my playing limits.

With this approach, I’m typically practicing 3 lessons at a time. Two of those lessons I can play really well and are almost at a point where I can move on and one is typically stretching my limits. Practicing this way, I’ve noticed I “mark complete” 1-2 lessons a week. Works for me and I’m enjoying it. Good luck!

# 2
NatashaD
NatashaD
02/06/2019 1:40 am

I'm interested in hearing feedback as well. I started playing Christmas Day (it was my gift!) and I usually practice for an hour per day. I review previous Fundamental lessons, playing with the jam track, so I'm technically always practicing those. But once I feel like I understand the concept and the purpose of the lesson, I move to the next one. I usually have something fun that I'm working on as well, such as a blues scale or an easy song (learning a Bob Marley tune right now). Moving on and doing something fun helps me when I'm getting frustrated because I'm not playing the Fundamentals song "perfectly." But I've asked the same question... when it is ok to move on?

"We only fail when we stop trying."

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.