What's the best solo you can play??

I_am_the_smartest
I_am_the_smartest
10/18/2002 4:25 am
I would like to know what all the hardest solos that all you people can play. Could you also include how long you've been playing along with age?
# 1
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
10/18/2002 1:00 pm
hmmm...

i can play:

crazy train
one
eruption

i can play many others, but those are the ones people usually take notice of.
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 2
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
10/18/2002 1:09 pm
Hard question, it depends. Somtimes when I play a Dream Theater our Mamlmsteen solo, some people (most people actally) don´t find it good but when I play GNR our Metallica stuff the find it very cool. Playn´ somthing by Satriani can be very good ´cause his stuff is in the midle of Guns and Dream theater (somtimes emotional, somtimes fast, somtimes difficult). For The Love Of Good by Vai is also cool.
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 3
I_am_the_smartest
I_am_the_smartest
10/18/2002 10:41 pm
I'd say the hardest solos i can play are one and shortest straw by metallica. i been playing for 1/2 year. man, i'm sure eruption took a crap load of time in order to learn!! also, where did you get a good tab of the crazy train solo?? the pick tapping on it at the first was pretty confusing

# 4
nand80
nand80
10/19/2002 9:37 am
the 1st solo of 'Highway Star' which is actually a synth one
...I had a really hard time figuring it out on the axe..takes some creative applications of tapping methods especially.
# 5
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
10/19/2002 11:44 am
For crazy train tab go to http://www.mysongbook.com and check out Ozzy Osbourne. The tapping part isn´t hard at all. It´s a standard tapping lick with dubble tap wich isn´t hard especially if you do it with pick.
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 6
metalisbest
metalisbest
10/19/2002 1:19 pm
I had quit messing with solos for a long time because I had started playing bass and then I just got back into the guitar a few months ago. The hardest one I can play now are Stairway to Heaven(solo isn't hard just the song is so long. It doesn't take me that long to learn how to play a solo its just the style of guitar I'm doing right now. I'm 15 and have been playin for 4-5 years.
# 7
TheElectricSnep
TheElectricSnep
10/19/2002 1:45 pm
I don't copy anyone's solos exactly....most of what I do is improvied around lics from the originals. When I tell my friends what I can play they often make the mistake of thinking I can do a note for note copy and play it as well as the original artist.....neither of which are true most of the time.

Dejan, I agree :) For the Love of God is very enjoyable coz Vai put so much cheese between the bits that I enjoy that I get on well improvising loads. Plus I do it on an LP with no Floyd Rose.....hoping to perform it soon...(just need a damn bassist!)

I like playing Rhoads' solo on 'Believer' (Live version) I use it for speed practice.

'There's no such thing as bad weather, there's only the wrong clothes...'
# 8
MikeP.
MikeP.
10/19/2002 3:24 pm
Not really the hardest solo I know how to play but Randy Rhoads's live Suicide Solution Solo wich we sometimes play live is one of my favorites to play.

As far as probably the hardest I know how to play is Racer X's Scarified and playing it exact with the harmonies of my other guitar player. (We've never attemted it live yet)
I started learning guitar because of Randy Rhoads..but Yngwie J. Malmsteen is my biggest influence.
# 9
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
10/19/2002 3:46 pm
dont laugh, but for me its layla (accoustic unplugged) by eric claption :(
WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 10
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
10/19/2002 5:14 pm
I do it the same way as yoy Cachron. I hate learning solos note for note, first of all it´s pretty hard and than it take´s long long time. Here´s what I do, when I´m learning a more known guitar solo, I keep my stuff down and learn it 95% acurate but when learning shred stuff like Yngwie, than I can´t see a reason why I should play note for note when even he don´t do it live. Parts wich are slower in Yngwie solos (the only way to recognize solo from solo in Yngwies songs) are important to learn how they are but when it´s full shred, I throw in my own fav. speed stuff (i got some licks wich I love) and shred it as fast as he does. What´s important that it´s same key (of course).

But than when it comes to Dream Theater solos, I learn them aprox 80-90% as they are ´cause it ain´t always 4/4 and it´s hard to do somthing right (improvise) when it´s 9/8.

Listen to Erotomania last solo. I had to learn it almost 100% ´cause the rythms are sick. We (my band) love to play that tune.

I don´t know but I think that it´s important to throw in your own stuff here and there ´cause that´s the only way for me to develop my own style of playng.
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 11
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
10/19/2002 5:20 pm
My fav. solo (to play) by Randy is both Mr. Crowley solos. They rock and I think that those two are the fastest he recorded with Ozzy. Now I know that Suicide Solution (live verision) seems to include some amazing stuff but what I´ve heard of Randy, Mr. Crowley is the best but Crazy Train is the mosy famous.

However, I prefer Zakk actually. I love to play most of his early solos including Miracle Man, Devils Daughter, Crazy Babies, Bloodbath In Paradise, No More Tears... Some of them are pretty fast but it´s just the attitude that make´s them sound so good. Barking At The Moon is the best by Jake. I like first half of the solo more than second, but than the second is way faster wich makes them equal.

Ozzy stuff is GOOD!!!
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 12
kimbob
kimbob
10/19/2002 6:21 pm
I think some of the stuff I do on my own are the best solo's I do. As far as doing other peoples riffs, I can play Satriani's "Satch Boogie" note for note for one (it's my favorite guitar instrumental). :cool:
"Let that boy Boogie Woogie. Cause' it in em' and it got to come out." -John Lee Hooker-
There's no substitute for expeience. So get out there and break some strings on stage.
# 13
stratman42
stratman42
10/19/2002 7:37 pm
I also never learn solos note for note...if at all.

I basically worked out almost the exact crazy train solo...for some reason i didnt find it hard...think its cos i basically play in a similar style. At least, i like to think that :).

I can also play a few others, like the One solo and the original paranoid one. I worked out part of Phantom of the opera by iron maiden and also Run to the hills. A couple of Queensrÿche numbers and one blind guardian - Mirror Mirror. I've recently started trying Petrucci's version of flight of the Bumblebee...i find his stuff really challenging. Generally speaking though i hardly bother with solos by other people. The above is pretty much all ive done in that area over 3 years of playing electric guitar.
Work hard...Play hard...Break a string...:mad:

Actions speak louder than words...
And my actions speak louder than yours :D
# 14
I_am_the_smartest
I_am_the_smartest
10/19/2002 11:54 pm
dejan, doesn't the picktapping have a weird rythm in the song crazy train, or do you just sort of improvise with it.
# 15
Branislav
Branislav
10/20/2002 8:49 am
I think it's Deep Purple's Lazy.
The coolest solo I've ever heard :D
Btw, I'm 19 and I've been playing for 2 years.
Keep Rockin',
Branislav
http://www.stormbringer.1444.net
# 16
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
10/20/2002 9:01 am
I don´t think so but here´s how I play it:

1414p7h10|1515p7h10| it´s 4 notes p/beat. I think it sounds OK

Repeat evry bar 4 times and notes 14 and 15 are tapped

Dejan S. No speed limit
# 17
TheElectricSnep
TheElectricSnep
10/20/2002 12:03 pm
Learning a lick note for note is often good for me. I find that I build my own ideas into a lick at I progress and then I can use it in my own music without people thinking i'm a copy-guitarist. My most recent was Gilbert's version of Red House...took me a while to figure out a lick where he goes from B pentatonic into F# ionian and back again. Not a pattern I'd ever thought of using before.
'There's no such thing as bad weather, there's only the wrong clothes...'
# 18
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
10/20/2002 1:24 pm
I agree, somtimes it´s useful to learn licks note for note. Especially when learning different tricks. It can give you cool ideas wich you can develop and later on in some solo use it.
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 19
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
10/20/2002 5:36 pm
I'd say the best solo I've ever played was this one I made up one time when no one was listening to me. :D
As far as other people's solos go, I do a bastardized version of Eruption (hey, even Eddie doesn't play it note for note all the time)and some of my favorites to play are just about all of AC/DC's solos. They arent difficult at all but they sound just totally awsome.
And I almost forgot, I've been playing about 2 and 1/3 years.
And God said, 'Let there be rock!'
-And it was good
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.