View post (When did you discover your voice?)

View thread

Joseph
Joseph
09/20/2002 3:54 pm
I think I would much rather sing with others, because it gives my voice a healthy blend, but still I think for every musician, you have to be prepared to count on yourself. But yeah, it can be very intimidating to sing alone, but I think you just have to really listen to the music, and do what comes natural to you. I think what happens is that a lot of people think of singing as this one big competition, but it shouldn't be that way. It's all about finding new ways to express yourself. Heck, I know girls who talk a mile a minute, but when it comes to singing they freeze up.

There's a great article on *Krist Novoselic* in the November issue of Guitar World Magazine. One interesting comment he made in regards to using his voice: "It felt good to sing now, so I did. We'll see how it progresses. I kind of discovered my voice for the first time, and the more I did it, the better it got."

I never considered myself to be the greatest singer, but over the past year or so, I've found comfort with my voice... especially as a music teacher... When it comes to your voice, it's always a great challenge, but as a singer I try not to compare my voice to others, I'm just me. So, when did you discover your voice, at what age? ... and have you found comfort with it as a musician, or just singing to your girlfriend/boyfriend at night?

~Joseph

www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."