When did you discover your voice?

Joseph
Joseph
09/20/2002 3:54 pm
I think I would much rather sing with others, because it gives my voice a healthy blend, but still I think for every musician, you have to be prepared to count on yourself. But yeah, it can be very intimidating to sing alone, but I think you just have to really listen to the music, and do what comes natural to you. I think what happens is that a lot of people think of singing as this one big competition, but it shouldn't be that way. It's all about finding new ways to express yourself. Heck, I know girls who talk a mile a minute, but when it comes to singing they freeze up.

There's a great article on *Krist Novoselic* in the November issue of Guitar World Magazine. One interesting comment he made in regards to using his voice: "It felt good to sing now, so I did. We'll see how it progresses. I kind of discovered my voice for the first time, and the more I did it, the better it got."

I never considered myself to be the greatest singer, but over the past year or so, I've found comfort with my voice... especially as a music teacher... When it comes to your voice, it's always a great challenge, but as a singer I try not to compare my voice to others, I'm just me. So, when did you discover your voice, at what age? ... and have you found comfort with it as a musician, or just singing to your girlfriend/boyfriend at night?

~Joseph

www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 1
Cash Money
Cash Money
09/20/2002 8:02 pm
I'm still trying to find mine as i'm not too comfortable with it yet... I mean, I could sing, when it's just me and my guitar... but as soon as people show up, i lose it... I could play guitar in front of an audience for hours... singing on the other hand, is a totally different story... I'm trying to start up a band now and it hurting us now because the bass player and keyboardist are just starting out on their instruments and is rough for them to sing and play at the same time... and the same goes for the drummer... I'm not that great, but i've been playing for around 8 years now so i could sing and play at the same time just fine... so, i don't have any excuses... lol...

I went for voice lessons for about 2 months only, so that didn't help really i guess... but is there any little tricks that you all use... like some people take a shot or two, some drink lemon juice, some smoke...etc... I always see this "Clear Voice" stuff... anyone use it?

-Chris
# 2
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
09/21/2002 1:54 am
smoking/drinking/drugs all make your voice sound strained (check out a 1995 Grateful Dead bootleg, you'll know what i mean), so if your going for that and want to grow old real quick, smoke alot of persian ;).

But seriously, unless your going for a certain tone, i wouldn't reccommend smoking (cigarettes that is, marijuana is a-okay:D), and especially drinking in my opinion is just dumb (i go for the more herbal experience...).

I find that the more you practice singing, your voice starts to sound a little less like talking and a little more singing, and it gradually gets better over time (im only 14, so i can't really say what im gonna sound like in 5 years).
# 3
Mud
Mud
09/21/2002 2:05 am
heh I didn't
-Mud
# 4
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
09/21/2002 10:39 pm
....what?
# 5
X-Man
X-Man
09/22/2002 3:41 am
Well, there are quite a few songs I can sing with...and the music ranges from garth brooks, to the beatles, to Iron maiden....

and when I do sing...people tell me that I am able to sing. However,I'm not sure how well I can actually sing. but that started around when I was 12....I'm 21 now...so 9 years now.

I love to sing....whether I can keep with the song or not...I'm still goin' for it!!!
So It Shall Be Written...
So It Shall Be Done...
# 6
malweth
malweth
09/23/2002 1:39 pm
Singing comes much more naturally to me than playing an instrument. I've been choir singing (through school mostly) and to-the-radio singing for all my life (with a short break because of my voice change ;)).

Instruments, however, I've had trouble with in the past. I took Piano for four years when I was very young, but I was too young to realize I should practice... so I got lots of basic theory and very little ability. I also took trumpet, but that REALLY didn't last long (I'm not that fond of brass - except for jazz + ska).

I'm doing very well with guitar so far, but it's only been about 1.5 months.
# 7
Slasher
Slasher
09/24/2002 11:16 am
I only started singing about a year ago when I had a cold. I found out that I could do a really controlled GRRRRR!!! Again the drinking n smoking has helped me keep this efect, but as for singing normally, I'll stick to playing guitar, I just suck if I'm not hocking my lungs up.
Remember, the chickens that fly will always beat the rubber plants that bounce!
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.