Issues with a Boss Katana 50

Victus4eva
Victus4eva
10/10/2018 4:24 pm

I have a boss katana and when I try to record or play in general, I always get these crackling and popping sounds along with other undesired sounds. I didn't buy a warranty when I initially bought it, so I was hoping it's something I can fix on my own. If anyone has any solutions, they would be appreciated.

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
10/10/2018 4:27 pm

Hi Vitus4eva,

A crackling sound might be from the cable from your instrument to the amp, or a bad connection in the amp somewhere, it can also be from interference from any type of other nearby electronics, it could even be from your pickups!

This is so tough to figure out without hearing the sounds, and you mentioned there were other undesired sounds as well? What were those other sounds like?

Have you tried pluggin the amp into another wall outlet?

(I also moved this thread to Ask a Guitar Tech, maybe Stephen will know the answer!)

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
manXcat
manXcat
10/10/2018 9:05 pm

Presumably you bought it new...and reasonably recently? New Boss Katana amps come with Boss warranty by default don't they?

What you're describing sounds like either a dirty or faulty connection somewhere or EMF noise possibly from other devices on the mains circuit. e.g. Fridge or air conditioning motors.

In any case, I'd fault find myself first. Lots of process of elimination to follow here. Simplest first.

Are you using a well shielded quality instrument cable with quality connectors? i.e. Rapco Horizon with nickel Switchcraft connectors. Imperative IME. Cheap included in the box moulded terminal cables are utter rubbish and frequently a source of noise. Think of them as a big aerial for unwanted EMF throughout the home.

Is your guitar a super cheapie or ? Low quality or dirty pots, poorly soldered connectors or dodgy earths can generate noise. Cheap pickups can generate noticble hum when the volume is increased, especially with gain cranked, but not usually popping and crackling IME.

Those are the easist to either check or assess, but the most probable IMO is noise generated by something on the same circuit of your house mains power supply, or the circuit itself being dirty'. If you have a second power '(vs light) circuit, plug into that and see if it ceases. If you don't have a second circuit or it doesn't, buy a power filter (not just a surge protector) and plug your amp into that. A power strip or even single port wall wart type with true filtering capability will do.

If you're nearby any other active electronics which might be generating strong EMF, e.g. HT speakers, wi-fi routers, ceiling or pedastal fans, some types of lights, move to an area of the property as remote as you can potentially devoid of sources of interference and see how you go.

Good luck. Although it could be a fault with the Katana itself, it's unlikely (low probability). If after basic fault finding nothing evidences itself as the culprit, if you can, take it to where you bought it and ask them to test it so you can demonstrate the symptoms you are experiencing. On their mains power and with an instrument and cable different from yours, if it's still occurring, its indicative it might be a fault with the amp.

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/11/2018 2:29 am
Originally Posted by: Guitar Tricks Admin

(I also moved this thread to Ask a Guitar Tech, maybe Stephen will know the answer!)

That might be a problem. I don't think registered users can see threads or posts in the Full Access areas of the forum.

It might be better to move it back to the original location.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4
Guitar Tech
Guitar Tech
10/11/2018 11:33 am

To me, your description of the problem sounds like a bad output-jack in your guitar. The easiest wayto test this theory, is to get another guitar and plug it into the amp - if the problem ceases, then your guitar is definitely at fault.

Of course, as ManXcat suggests, there could be other internal problems with your guitar's wiring, as well as possible problems with your connector-cable - however, I'd still guess that your guitar's output jack needs replacement. It's an easy repair, and the replacement Swithchcraft #11 output jack only costs a couple of bucks. if you don't have decent soldering-chops, I recommend taking your guitar to a local 'pro' - they shouldn't charge you more than $20 to $40 to replace the jack (unless your guitar happens to have no access-panel, to get to the jack)...

Stephen White

# 5
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
10/11/2018 6:05 pm
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel
Originally Posted by: Guitar Tricks Admin

That might be a problem. I don't think registered users can see threads or posts in the Full Access areas of the forum.

It might be better to move it back to the original location.

You're absolute right, Chris! I moved it back to Gear discussion. Woops~

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.