Purple Rain

rickymurphy
rickymurphy
10/07/2018 9:19 am

Hi Mike,

I was very happy to notice the new lesson on Purple Rain.

I don't see you mention it, maybe I overlooked, but I noticed that the original version isn't in E standard tuning, but sounds more like tuned a half step up?

Thanks,

Ricky

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/08/2018 3:39 am

Hey Ricky! Yes the tuning on the recording does seem a little off - but it is closest to standard tuning. Sometimes that happens with older recordings that were recorded on analog tape. I'm not sure if that was intentional - but if you check out any youtube live versions of this song, you'll see him playing it in standard.

Cheers!

Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
claygibney
claygibney
12/16/2018 7:36 pm

I'm happy too about the new lesson on Purple Rain.

I got confused several times by the female gender pronoun when referring to Prince? While I think he was in favor of gender fluid identity, I never heard that he preferred being referred to as a she?

# 3
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/16/2018 9:49 pm

Ha! Sorry I wasn't more clear. I was referring to Wendy Melvoin who was Prince's other guitarist at the time who played the intro and rhythm guitar throughout the song.

Cheers!

Mike

Originally Posted by: claygibney

I'm happy too about the new lesson on Purple Rain.

I got confused several times by the female gender pronoun when referring to Prince? While I think he was in favor of gender fluid identity, I never heard that he preferred being referred to as a she?

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.