pinky flattening technique

DavidBower
DavidBower
09/02/2018 4:46 am

Hi Mike,

I really enjoy the whole GT site and in particular your detailed song lessons, thank you.

My question is technique-related, please.

I can flatten any of the fingers in my left hand, easily bending the finger back at the second knuckle so that I can bar a first position A chord and still expose the top E string if required.

Except that try as I may, I cannot do this like you do with your pinky finger. My pinky flattens at the third knuckle joint, i.e. at the hand. Try as I may, I cannot perfect this and consequently have a frequently imperfectly sounding chord and no control over exposing top E or not.

What is the secret please? Is it just a matter of developing pinky strength? What exercises, techniques or scales can I do to help obtain this?

Many thanks again.

David Bower

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/02/2018 12:32 pm

Hi David! Thanks for the kind words!

For me, over the years it's something that developed naturally - I never really worked on it.

Have you tried with your ring finger? Perhaps that may work for you!

Overall, I'd say this has less to do with pinky strength and more to do with general flexibility in the pinky - so just keep working with it.

One exercise to try is to place your fingers on the chord, and check each note in the chord to make sure every note rings out. Make any adjustments necessary to get that to happen - then pull off the chord and try again. Do this for 2-5 minutes each time you pick up the guitar, and eventually the pinky should loosen from the repetition.

Hope this helps - let me know how it goes!!

Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
DavidBower
DavidBower
09/03/2018 12:57 am

Thanks for the swift reply, Mike.

Yes, I could use my ring finger, I was just making sure that I could utilise all four fingers as equally as possible.

Good to hear that it is likely flexibility-related. I will try your exercise and update you.

Have a great day.

David.

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.