Pointers in writing a good solo

Jay
Jay
09/08/2000 4:28 am
Alright. First post. Anyone have any pointers in writing a good solo? or playing lead guitar?

------------------
Zeppelin Rules!
Zeppelin Rules!
# 1
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
09/08/2000 7:05 pm
Well first of all : thanks
though this "Zeppelin rulles" probably wasnt meant to praise me
Second: Play the scale/ mode which u are using to the solo till your fingers bleeding and then try to break it ,whitout breaking the harmony... like adding notes to the scale, and playing it on different octaves.
Offcorse before soloing try to complete the chords first... the solo should be based on the key of the chords....
Mainly dont sit about every note in the solo... that's why scales and modes exist -
i mean play small parts from the scale/ mode, but try to break the order of the notes or try to add something...

"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 2
Jay
Jay
09/08/2000 7:25 pm
Alright, so if i was playing a song with only 1 chord.. the solo would be based on that one cord? say the chord was D. you'd do somekind of thing like:

-----------------------3-
-------------2-2--2-0----
---------3---------------
--0--0-------------------
-------------------------
-------------------------

i dont even know what im saying anymore. i just babble. sorry

i think im halfway right though

------------------
Zeppelin Rules!
Zeppelin Rules!
# 3
LuigiCabrini
LuigiCabrini
09/08/2000 10:07 pm
Scales and modes are a guidepoint, but if you're going to sit down and write a solo, as opposed to improvising one (which is what your friend jimmy page mostly did) then I would suggest you think more about melody. Come up with an idea that interests you.
I find that once you teach somebody who likes rock how to play the pentatonic scale, and they become fluent with it, they start to think that going up and down the scale stepwise, and playing triplet licks constitutes a solo. Remember, the key is to be interesting with music, not just to play the notes that are in the right key as fast as you can.
If a song is basically a blues form (like most early zep songs) and is in the key of A or E (like all early zep songs) then you'll be safe improvising with the A or E minor pentatonic scales, respectively.

# 4
Johan
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Johan
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/25/2000 6:50 am
This is how my mind works when I´m writing solos. I always follow the scale, but break it if you must(And if it sounds good).
Variation is the key-word
1,Variate your playing(Use diffrent techniques)
2,Variate Fast and slow, (If you only play fast you tend to get boring after a while)
3,Blend Melodies with licks.

/Johan Lindgren
# 5
Jay
Jay
09/25/2000 7:02 am
quote:
Originally posted by Johan:
This is how my mind works when I´m writing solos. I always follow the scale, but break it if you must(And if it sounds good).
Variation is the key-word
1,Variate your playing(Use diffrent techniques)
2,Variate Fast and slow, (If you only play fast you tend to get boring after a while)
3,Blend Melodies with licks.

Thanks!

------------------
Zeppelin Rules!
Zeppelin Rules!
# 6
Guitarsmurf
Guitarsmurf
09/25/2000 1:08 pm
Well,Tommy Bolin used to say his solos were only in key at the beginning and at the end and that the middle didn't matter.

------------------
Life is a banquet,so eat me.
Life is a banquet,so eat me.
# 7
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
09/25/2000 7:03 pm
Yeah Luigi you probably right about that penta-problem... but soloing is not an opposite of improvising... good guitarist here and there just improvise their solos in studio... our friend page did it alot, though it doesnt sound good always...
Another important thing is to add stuff to the solo... you are a guitarist, not a machine try to add pull offs slides and other stuff like that
about the D that was posted by Jay: yeah that's probably a thing you can do... you should learn all the basic modes and scales
and then it will be easier... offcourse as Luigi said playing the scale up and down is not soloing but you should be able to do this, to get speed... your fingers should find the right frets even when your eyes closed and then you can break the scale
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 8
Mark Wood
Mark Wood
04/01/2024 7:51 am

Agree

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.